Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by coolSK <ku...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/11 20:09:42 UTC

Issue starting HBase

I have a weird issue starting HBase server. I am using HBase-0.90.2. I set my
root.dir under $HBASE_HOME/conf/hbase-site.xml. Then when I try starting HBase
using bin/start-hbase.sh, I get the following error message :

2011-04-11 13:57:56,578 INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Opening socket
connection to server localhost/127.0.0.1:2181
2011-04-11 13:57:56,579 WARN org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session
0x12f45b3dd000001 for server null, unexpected error, closing socket connection
and attempting reconnect
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:574)
        at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1119)

It appeared that instance of zookeeper wasn't running. I manually started
zookeeper instance listening at port 2181 and confirmed that it was running.I
went back to HBase and tried restarting it. Now the error I got was :

Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182.

So it made me reach a conclusion that when ZK wasn't running, HBase was not able
to connect to it (and even did not try starting its own at 2181) but when ZK was
started, HBase too started its own instance on 2181 instead of just connecting
to the already running instance. Is this some kind of bug or am I completely
missing something ?

Thanks,

Re: Issue starting HBase

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
What does the log look like when you start hbase without starting your
own zookeeper? The "Couldnt start ZK at requested address" message
means that it does fall into that part of the code, but something must
be blocking it from starting... The log should tell you.

J-D