Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/02/28 20:09:08 UTC

[4.0.3] [VOTES] Upcoming release and security fix

Since there are apparently diverging opinions on the subject (and also since
I didn't get any +1s for a possible 4.0.3 b1, or a 4.0.2a release), here's a
formal request for vote.

On the security problem reported yesterday, affecting the security manager
sandboxing. We should:
<ballot>
A [ ] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include the
security fix
B [ ] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it would
take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
*small*)
C [ ] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
03/01 and Final on 03/08)
</ballot>

Multiple votes are acceptable. If there are other interesting possibilities,
let me know.

My vote is 'B'.

In parallel, I'd like to release a first beta of 4.0.3 on 03/01 (depending
on the vote on item 'C' above, the release cycle may be shorter or longer):
<ballot>
+1 [ ] I support the release, and I will help
+0 [ ] I support the release
-0 [ ] I don't support the release
-1 [ ] I'm against the release because:

</ballot>

My vote is +1.

Note: Non-committers are welcome to vote if they feel like it, but the vote
in that case is non binding.

Remy

Re: [4.0.3] [VOTES] Upcoming release and security fix

Posted by Jason Brittain <ja...@collab.net>.
Hi Remy and gang..

Below is my non-binding vote (for fun!):

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Since there are apparently diverging opinions on the subject (and also since
> I didn't get any +1s for a possible 4.0.3 b1, or a 4.0.2a release), here's a
> formal request for vote.
>
> On the security problem reported yesterday, affecting the security manager
> sandboxing. We should:
> <ballot>
> A [X] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include the
> security fix

This looks to me to be the path of least resistance/hassle for everyone
involved, since it's just a small change to the last release.  Release early,
release often.  :)

> B [ ] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it would
> take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
> *small*)

Binary patches make me nervous.  Whether this would work best or not
depends on a whole bunch of unspecified factors, so I won't vote for it.

> C [ ] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
> security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
> 03/01 and Final on 03/08)
> </ballot>

This one would be nice too, but it creates a bunch of extra work for you
it seems (which is my guess as to why you're not voting for it).

--
Jason Brittain
<jasonb (at) collab (dot) net>

Re: [4.0.3] [VOTES] Upcoming release and security fix

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> A [+0] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include the
> security fix
> B [+0] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it
would
> take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
> *small*)
> C [ ] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
> security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
> 03/01 and Final on 03/08)
> </ballot>

Much the same as with Craig.  The RPM people will probably want A, whereas
I'd guess that a lot of non-Linux people will want B.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [4.0.3] [VOTES] Upcoming release and security fix

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Since there are apparently diverging opinions on the subject (and also since
> I didn't get any +1s for a possible 4.0.3 b1, or a 4.0.2a release), here's a
> formal request for vote.
>
> On the security problem reported yesterday, affecting the security manager
> sandboxing. We should:
> <ballot>
> A [ ] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include the
> security fix
> B [ ] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it would
> take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
> *small*)
> C [ ] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
> security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
> 03/01 and Final on 03/08)

I need some of these fixes...
But I have just noted it only yesterday therefore today the choice A does not
help me... So B.

Posted by Eric Rescorla <ek...@rtfm.com>.
"Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> writes:

> Since there are apparently diverging opinions on the subject (and also since
> I didn't get any +1s for a possible 4.0.3 b1, or a 4.0.2a release), here's a
> formal request for vote.
>
> On the security problem reported yesterday, affecting the security manager
> sandboxing. We should:
> <ballot>
> A [ ] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include the
> security fix
> B [ ] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it would
> take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
> *small*)
> C [ ] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
> security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
> 03/01 and Final on 03/08)
> </ballot>
My vote is C.

> In parallel, I'd like to release a first beta of 4.0.3 on 03/01 (depending
> on the vote on item 'C' above, the release cycle may be shorter or longer):
> <ballot>
> +1 [ ] I support the release, and I will help
> +0 [ ] I support the release
> -0 [ ] I don't support the release
> -1 [ ] I'm against the release because:
>

> </ballot>
>
> My vote is +1.
+0

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr@rtfm.com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/

Re: [4.0.3] [VOTES] Upcoming release and security fix

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
+1 for option A and B together (they don't have to be mutually exclusive,
and we can examine user behavior to see if binary patches are an idea
worth pursuing.

+1 for 4.0.3-b1.

Craig

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> On the security problem reported yesterday, affecting the security manager
> sandboxing. We should:
> <ballot>
> A [] Make a full 4.0.3 (or 4.0.2a) release which would only include  the
> security fix
> B [+1] Make the security fix available as a binary patch for 4.0.2 (it would
> take the form of an archive to extract in $CATALINA_HOME, and would be
> *small*)
> C [] Accelerate the release schedule of 4.0.3, which would include the
> security fix, as well as fixes for other issues with 4.0.2 (with Beta 1 on
> 03/01 and Final on 03/08)
> </ballot>

> Multiple votes are acceptable. If there are other interesting possibilities,
> let me know.
>
> My vote is 'B'.
>
> In parallel, I'd like to release a first beta of 4.0.3 on 03/01 (depending
> on the vote on item 'C' above, the release cycle may be shorter or longer):
> <ballot>
> +1 [+1( jk part )] I support the release, and I will help
> +0 [ ] I support the release
> -0 [ ] I don't support the release
> -1 [ ] I'm against the release because:

Costin