Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Karanth, Ranganath Krishnayya (Ranganath)" <ka...@lucent.com> on 2004/10/04 15:29:32 UTC

Why POI is parsing the Formula's?

Folks,
	I am finding a RuntimeException (StringIndexOutOfBoundsException)
when POI tries to parse the formula containing Excel Named Ranges.
	Does that mean that POI does not support Named ranges in a formula?.
	Not sure why POI is parsing the formula when I try setting the
formula to the cell.

	Formula I used is :
=IF(ISNA(LOOKUP(B5,xxx,Sheet1!C5:C10)),"",LOOKUP(B5,xxx,Sheet1!C5:C10))
	Here 'xxx' refers to the Named ranges.

Also let me know if there is any other way to set the Formula to the cell
avoiding Formula parser.

Please let me know at the earliest. I am kind of stuck.

Thanks in advance...
Ranganath.

Re: Why POI is parsing the Formula's?

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
POI pretty much HAS to parse the formula, since in an xls file, they are
stored in pre-parsed form.

And yes, named range support in formula's is weak at best. Standard
workaround - use a template to populate.

Regards
-
Avik