Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in> on 2016/01/15 19:16:43 UTC

Impact of Changing Compaction Strategy

Hi,
I need to understand whether all existing sstables are recreated/updated when we change compaction strategy from STCS to DTCS?

Sstables are immutable by design but do we take an exception for such cases and update same files when an Alter statement is fired to change the compaction strategy?

ThanksAnuj
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Impact of Changing Compaction Strategy

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.
When you change compaction strategy, nothing happens until the next flush. On the next flush, the new compaction strategy will decide what to do – if you change from STCS to DTCS, it will look at various timestamps of files, and attempt to group them by time windows based on the sstable’s minTimestamp, and your DTCS base_time_seconds and an ever-growing multiple of min_threshold

Generally, many people recommend doing a STCS major before changing to DTCS (essentially to force all sstables into the oldest possible bucket). Whether or not that’s ideal for you depends on why you’re using DTCS (do you want to cut down on compaction, or are you setting yourself up for efficient TTL expiration). If it’s the latter, you should be sure you understand the impact of STCS major on your TTL use case (no data will TTL out until all of the data currently on disk is ready to expire).