Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "arin.kundu" <ar...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/30 15:56:39 UTC

FOP 2.1 Transforming Western Non Latin Character as ?

Hello Experts,

FOP version: 2.1
Java version : 1.7.0_101
OS/Platform version :
LSB_VERSION=base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)

I don't observe any error messages at log and the xml to PDF transformation
happens correctly with '?' for the character “Å”

From forum and discussions I understood  - if the characters are being
replaced with ?s then there is a character mapping issue on the server,
could you please help me understand what are the details I need to check to
ensure the character mapping on the server is correct.

FOP config( Config.xml
<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/t2923/Config.xml>  ) and the
XSL  Header.xsl
<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/t2923/Header.xsl>  (used for
transformation) are included. I have verified all the fonts mentioned at
config.xml are located at the right place.

One more question -  output PDF has the font encoding as ansi, could this be
an issue? if "yes" how could we enforce the output pdf's font encoding to be
something else, may be 'UTF-8', screenshot included.

<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/t2923/FO-PDF-Transformation-Issue.jpg>

--
Sent from: http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/FOP-Users-f3.html

Re: FOP 2.1 Transforming Western Non Latin Character as ?

Posted by Eduard Tibet <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Some late respond, but anyway.

1. You need to send here, to the list, fo-file - not xsl. FOP works
only with FO > PDF transformation, not XML > PDF. The latest is only
possible because of bonus-like feature due to Xalan xslt processor
included in FOP binary.

2. In your config file I don't see <base> or <font-base> elements -
base uris to which relative paths are applied. Try to use absolute
paths instead (URLs at web server are even better).

3. Try to make a simple fo file. And make a fo > pdf transformation.
Look at the result.

4. Metrics file are not needed anymore for FOP (from v. 1.1 or so).

5. Are you sure to turn off font autodetection. I don't remember if
auto-detection is ON by default in FOP or not. Try to turn it OFF.

6. Try to read out throughly this article:
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.1/fonts.html

--
ET