Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Frederic Camblor <fc...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/20 20:14:43 UTC

Problems with Maven & Windows network drives

Hi all !

I'm working under Windows via VirtualBox, and I'd like to not put
sensible/weight data on it to preserve image size/loss.
So I ended up creating a network drive between my host and guest OS, putting
project & maven data on it.

And ... it looks like maven is acting very strangely with network drives on
Windows !

I executed the following scenarii :
Scenario 1 :
- Don't edited any settings.xml, and launched a "mvn clean install" on a
fresh copy of my project located on my C: (local) drive : no problems !

Scenario 2 :
- I edited the settings.xml and set the <localRepository> property, pointing
on a folder located on my network drive.
Then, I launched "mvn clean install" and BLAM! : maven wasn't able to
download my project parent pom on remote repositories :(
Note: I tried :
*** <localRepository>Z:/path/to/localRepo</localRepository>
*** <localRepository>file:///Z:/path/to/localRepo</localRepository>
***
<localRepository>//VBOXSVR/sharedfoldername/path/to/localRepo</localRepository>

Scenario 3 :
- I removed the <localRepository> property. "mvn clean install" re-works
fine !
- I moved my project from C: to my Z: network drive and relaunched maven.
This time, maven, succeeded in downloading my parent pom.
But, this time,
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.1:copy-dependencies
didn't succeeded during my build :(

I reproduced this behaviour both with mvn 2.0.9 and 2.2.1.

Is someone using successfully maven on project and maven repos located on
Windows network drives ?
Feedback appreciated before adding 2 JIRA ...

Thanks in advance..
Frédéric

Re: Problems with Maven & Windows network drives

Posted by Frederic Camblor <fc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian !

I understand your position, furthermore since in Windows 7, problem is no
more there (it looks like it is really related to Windows XP and its manner
to manage mounted network drives :()

One workaround for my case is to launch maven CLI in my host environnement
(ie ubuntu) => it will download artefacts in the local repository and these
artefacts will be available in my guest environnment (and then, no problem).

Frédéric

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.