Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/10/10 23:31:32 UTC

Re: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:01:33 -0700 (PDT), Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks a ton for your contribution. Checked it in. Please cross check.
> - I have added it to the main page too for better visibility.
> - Fixed hard coded /home/ovidiu strings.
> - Fixed imports in URLSource that went bad after the merge.

Oops, sorry about this, I forgot to remove them ;-)

> One Request, If we can get rid of the HTTPClient dependency it will be great!!! Please take a loo
> at http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip34.html.

Yes, I know about URL and URLConnection. However they are rather badly
implemented in Sun's JDK. They throw exceptions if the response code
from the server is not "200 OK", and as a result I can't obtain the
SOAP response from the server. The HTTPClient library gives this
ability, plus it provides many more features, like transparent
HTTP/1.1 support, proxies (both HTTP proxy and SOCKS), SSL etc. I
don't want to reinvent the wheel and write them in SOAPHelper again.

I've also looked at the httpClient from Jakarta common's, but it's
still far from being usable. I'll check it out in a few months, and if
I have time work a little bit on it.

BTW, did you incorporate the HTTPClient.jar in CVS?

Thanks,
Ovidiu

AW: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ovidiu,
> >
> > due to the problems with HTTPClient library, I removed it
> > from cvs and commented out the using functions in the SOAPHelper
> > class. This of course breaks your logicsheet.
> >
> > Could you please take care of this? Another problem with
> > your could is that it requires jdk 1.3. Until now, we still
> > want to be compatible with 1.2, so you can't use URL.getPath().
>
> Um, The Batik project requires JDK 1.3--I don't know if this has
> bearing on us, but I found that out when I was trying to find info
> on extending it to use our protocols.  (They have hooks...).

I personally would love if we *update* to JDK 1.3 - but until now
we didn't have a vote on it and the last time we discussed this
(it might be in June or July this year) we decided to stick to JDK 1.2.
(That's actually why the URLSource uses reflection).

Carsten

Re: AW: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
My Mistake Stefano. Thanks for the catch.

-- dims

=== message truncated ===

=====

Re: AW: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Ovidiu,

Since "We have to eat our own dog-food". See attached Test.java that uses httpClient from Jakarta
commons to post the SOAP request and gets the output successfully. I'd really appreciate it if you
could take some time to post a patch for switching to httpClient from Jakarta commons.....

Thanks,

http://personals.yahoo.com

AW: [C2.1] new SOAP logicsheet

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.