Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Wes Cravens <we...@cortex-it.com> on 2003/02/03 11:59:09 UTC

Use DBI in http.conf

Has anyone any information on success/horror stories for using DBI in apache config files.  I have a number of

PerlModule Library::Module

<Location '/Module'>
    SetHandler Perl-Script
    PerlHandler Library::Module
</Location>

Type configs.

I can very easily extract this information from a database.  Is using DBI within a <perl> directive a good idea... perhaps there is a more elligant way of getting the information.  Would gladly welcome references to things I should read.  Just casting a line as I don't have a lot of research time available.

Cheers,

Wes

Re: Use DBI in http.conf

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Wes Cravens wrote:
> I have a number of
>
> PerlModule Library::Module
>
> <Location '/Module'>
>     SetHandler Perl-Script
>     PerlHandler Library::Module
> </Location>
>
> Type configs.
>
> I can very easily extract this information from a database.

Or you could use Apache::Dispatch, or you could put them in a simple
text file, or you could use mod_macro.  I'm sure it would work to put
them in DBI (although you'd better close that connection before Apache
forks!), but then you have a bunch of config data that can only be
changed by messing with SQL and can no longer be easilly viewed, diffed,
versioned, etc.

- Perrin