Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Jian, Carver YH" <Ca...@ctm.com.mo> on 2012/07/30 11:20:16 UTC

Apache OpenOffice Virtualized Inquiry

Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Carver Jian, I'm a technician of the Business Services & Development Team of a telecommunications company in Macau named Companhia de Telecommunicacoes de Macau(CTM). We have launched our Cloud Services in Mar this year and we are now preparing to launch a VDI solution in Macao market. CTM VDI solution is using Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop technology and deliver customer Apps or Desktops as a service.

Since Open Office is a famous free and open productivity tools, we would like to seek for possibilities to deliver your product to our customer through our VDI solution. Would you please confirm whether this free of charge concept is also suitable for our VDI solution? Please kindly advise.

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
CARVER JIAN
Business Service & Development
Companhia de Telecomunicações de Macau S.A.R.L. (CTM)
DID:           +853 8891 2848
MOBI:         +853 6300 0260
FAX:            +853 8891 2933
E-mail:        Carver.YH.Jian@ctm.com.mo<ma...@ctm.com.mo>

Re: Apache OpenOffice Virtualized Inquiry

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Jian, Carver YH
<Ca...@ctm.com.mo> wrote:

> Since Open Office is a famous free and open productivity tools, we would like to seek for possibilities to deliver your product to our customer through our VDI solution. Would you please confirm whether this free of charge concept is also suitable for our VDI solution? Please kindly advise.

Of course it is.

FC

Re: Apache OpenOffice Virtualized Inquiry

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Jian, Carver YH
<Ca...@ctm.com.mo> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> My name is Carver Jian, I'm a technician of the Business Services & Development Team of a telecommunications company in Macau named Companhia de Telecommunicacoes de Macau(CTM). We have launched our Cloud Services in Mar this year and we are now preparing to launch a VDI solution in Macao market. CTM VDI solution is using Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop technology and deliver customer Apps or Desktops as a service.
>
> Since Open Office is a famous free and open productivity tools, we would like to seek for possibilities to deliver your product to our customer through our VDI solution. Would you please confirm whether this free of charge concept is also suitable for our VDI solution? Please kindly advise.

I think there are two questions one could ask here:

1) Is it technically suitable?

2) Is this permitted by the software license for OpenOffice?

For question #2, you should note that Apache OpenOffice is provided
under the Apache License 2.0:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/license.html

The permissions granted in the license include, "a perpetual,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and
such Derivative Works in Source or Object form."

You might want to review this with your attorney, if course, but we
have seen other vendors do virtualized sessions of OpenOffice as a
service, e.g., https://www.rollapp.com/

As for the other question, technical feasibility, we have at least one
example of this working (rollApp).  So that is encouraging.

As you explore the idea feel free to ask technical questions on this
list.  And if you find something is missing, or you need an extra
configuration option or feature to support visualization, note that we
gladly accept code contributions in the form of patches.   Some of the
most successful business built on top of OpenOffice are those that are
able to assign a programmer to work with the project to make
enhancements to benefit their employer.  We all win when this happens.

Regards,

-Rob