Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com> on 2013/10/29 14:42:30 UTC

Bug and Solution when upgrading to 4.2

Hi All,

I recently upgraded Cloudplatform 3.07 to Cloudplatform 4.2 - yes I know this is the opensource mailing list, but it probably applies to Cloudstack as well - and I ran into this bug which caused my upgrade to fail:

After upgrading, when I tried to restart the system vms, they would not start and I got loads of SQL errors in my management server logs such as:

used by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '((total_capacity * cluster.value ) - used_capacity + reserved_capacity) >= 500 A' at line 1

After a while (with help from Citrix) we found this solution:

There is a bug in 4.2 release where CloudPlatform fails to start the system VM's when the global configuration parameter apply.allocation.algorithm.to.pods is set to true.

To resolve the issue set the global configuration parameter apply.allocation.algorithm.to.pods to false and then restart the management servers.

See this JIRA page for more details:

Hopefully this helps someone!

Thanks
Len

IMPORTANT NOTICE. This electronic message contains information from Control Circle Ltd, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone or email (to the number or email address above) immediately. Activity and use of the ControlCircle e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes

RE: Bug and Solution when upgrading to 4.2

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Len,

Thanks for Sharing, definitely useful info for CloudStack and CloudPlatform users alike.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.