Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by gr...@apache.org on 2003/11/21 03:18:06 UTC

Re: Regarding Apache 2.0.48 and specweb99

making public per Madhu

MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> I'm using 2.0.48 and also back-ported the cgid-restart patch to 2.0.48. I
> got a little further on the issue : The Apache hang is definitely caused by
> the cgid exiting.

cgid should _never_ exit without something in the error log.  That makes it
sound like a core problem, i.e. ap_process_child_status() or a signal handler is
fubar, in addition to whatever made the cgi daemon die.

But if that is in fact happening, I would trace syscalls & signals for the cgid
process.  (can't remember what the HPUX trace program is called, but you want
something similar to truss/strace)

> Here's what I think is happening : the SPECweb99 clients have stopped
> waiting for the post log, but the CGID exited in the middle of the
> processing - thus causing the SPECweb99 clients to hang (and hence Apache
> also to hang)
 >
> -Madhu

hmmm, remember the mod_specweb99 locking change for the post log?  I wonder if
that is related?    But AFAIK the DYN_CGI_SCRIPT cgi only does GETs, in which
case locking on the post log won't matter.  Or are you using a cgi for more than
just DYN_CGI_SCRIPT?

Greg