Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/09 16:43:20 UTC

Blog Testing

All--

I've been playing with the blog webapp, and I've noticed the following:

1) There's no way to delete entries

2) An admin can edit the sidebar, but there's no way to publish it

3)  When editing a sidebar, there's no way to add an entry after the
last item.

4) If I use Lenya to create and commit an entry, there's no way that
another admin user (I created 'dec' for testing) can update that entry.
 Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.

5)  If you empty the trash, you get an exception.

--Dale

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Dale Christ wrote:

>>> Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.
>>
>>reopen it as user lenya and press cancel, then it should be
>>checked-in
>>(did you open and press the Browser back button?)
>

> Yes I did.  I cancelled it, and it's working fine. I'm notorious about
> using the 'back' button.  Shame on me.

well, it's a common problem. It would be nice to be able to connect to
the browser buttons (maybe via JavaScript). If you have Xopus loaded and
you click on a link which is leading you away from the editor, then
Xopus will popup a dialog and tell you about it.

Another missing feature is the "breaking the lock", which would also
help, at least a bit.

> I just thought of something  Have the 'delete' function move it to the
> trash, then you can delete the trash later on.

yes, that makes sense

Michi

> Everyone should discuss this I think, preferable in Wiki, then whatever
> we agree on, then put in bugzilla.
>

> <cut />
>
> --Dale

Michael Wechner

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
--- Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> Dale Christ wrote:
>
> > All--
> >
> > I've been playing with the blog webapp, and I've noticed the
> following:
> >
> > 1) There's no way to delete entries
>
> it would be nice to do this with flow

:)

> > 2) An admin can edit the sidebar, but there's no way to publish it
> >
> > 3)  When editing a sidebar, there's no way to add an entry after
> the
> > last item.
>
> one needs to modify pubs/blog/lenya/xslt/formeditor/sidebar.xsl
>
> an "append" example can be found within
> pubs/blog/lenya/xslt/formeditor/entry.xsl for the content element

I'll take a look.

> > 4) If I use Lenya to create and commit an entry, there's no way
> that
> > another admin user (I created 'dec' for testing) can update that
> entry.
> >  Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.
>
> reopen it as user lenya and press cancel, then it should be
> checked-in
> (did you open and press the Browser back button?)

Yes I did.  I cancelled it, and it's working fine. I'm notorious about
using the 'back' button.  Shame on me.

> > 5)  If you empty the trash, you get an exception.
>

> the trash is not implemented in the blog publication, but this is the
>
> same problem as the "Site" tab, because it's a part of the core, but
> which is not necessary for a specific publication. Although the
> exception could be treated more nicely.

Ok.

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Dale Christ wrote:

> All--
>
> I've been playing with the blog webapp, and I've noticed the following:
>
> 1) There's no way to delete entries

it would be nice to do this with flow

> 2) An admin can edit the sidebar, but there's no way to publish it
>
> 3)  When editing a sidebar, there's no way to add an entry after the
> last item.

one needs to modify pubs/blog/lenya/xslt/formeditor/sidebar.xsl

an "append" example can be found within
pubs/blog/lenya/xslt/formeditor/entry.xsl for the content element

> 4) If I use Lenya to create and commit an entry, there's no way that
> another admin user (I created 'dec' for testing) can update that entry.
>  Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.

reopen it as user lenya and press cancel, then it should be checked-in
(did you open and press the Browser back button?)

> 5)  If you empty the trash, you get an exception.

the trash is not implemented in the blog publication, but this is the
same problem as the "Site" tab, because it's a part of the core, but
which is not necessary for a specific publication. Although the
exception could be treated more nicely.

6) Beside all the nice to haves I listed in a previous email, I think it
would be important to limit the entries within the overview to a certain
number, for instance the newest 12 entries. This could be done with a
customized directory generator.

btw, the archive pipeline is already implemented, but needs some more work.

Michi

> --Dale

Michael Wechner

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Dale Christ wrote:

> How yould you like them submitted?  I have a patch that allows the
> publication of the sidebar items.

file an enhancement bug at
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Lenya and attach
it. that way it wont get lost

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Dale Christ wrote:

> All--
>
> I've been playing with the blog webapp, and I've noticed the following:
>
> 1) There's no way to delete entries
>
> 2) An admin can edit the sidebar, but there's no way to publish it
>
> 3)  When editing a sidebar, there's no way to add an entry after the
> last item.
>
> 4) If I use Lenya to create and commit an entry, there's no way that
> another admin user (I created 'dec' for testing) can update that entry.
>  Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.
>
> 5)  If you empty the trash, you get an exception.

it will take work to turn the blog proof of concept publication into a

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
+1 from me as well

Michi

Dale Christ wrote:

> All--
>
> I like this idea as well. That way, we can actually put into bugzilla
> what will *actually* be worked on, and not plug up the channel.
>
> --Dale
>
> --- Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 01:17, Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>>I have created a Wiki entry for the feature requests on the various
>>
>>>sample publications:
>>>
>>>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaSamplePublications
>>>
>>>maybe we can use this for discussion and priorization. Or should we
>>
>>>rather use Bugzilla?
>>
>>I think feature requests should go into Bugzilla if the developers
>>think a request is worth to implement.
>>
>>Discussion should be done in lenya-dev. The wiki is good to summarize
>>the requests and discussion.
>>
>>The filtered feature requests should then go to bugzilla.
>>
>>My two cents.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Rolf Kulemann
>>
>>Always remember:
>>	"There is inherently no silver bullet." - F.Brooks
>>
>>PGP/GPG public key:
>>	http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Michael Wechner

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
All--

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
All--

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> I have created a Wiki entry for the feature requests on the various
> sample publications:
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaSamplePublications
>
> maybe we can use this for discussion and priorization. Or should we
> rather use Bugzilla?

bugzilla

Re: Blog Testing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Dale Christ wrote:

> All--
>
> I've been playing with the blog webapp, and I've noticed the following:
>
> 1) There's no way to delete entries
>
> 2) An admin can edit the sidebar, but there's no way to publish it
>
> 3)  When editing a sidebar, there's no way to add an entry after the
> last item.
>
> 4) If I use Lenya to create and commit an entry, there's no way that
> another admin user (I created 'dec' for testing) can update that entry.
>  Lenya reports that it is still checked out to lenya.
>
> 5)  If you empty the trash, you get an exception.
>
> --Dale

Michael Wechner