Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Nitin Gupta <ni...@srishtitechnet.com> on 2010/03/13 07:28:59 UTC

Usage Question

I am working on a Java application which is required to do following:

- Users will select an image template from the user interface.
- They will make certain modifications to it, such as changing the content,
colors, font size etc
- On the server side we are supposed to generate a PDF file from the user's
input in step 2 which can be sent to a printer

In short I am required to develop an online e-card designing application
which we shall print and charge user.

I request the imaging experts out here to guide me on how to proceed with
this problem. So far I have been thinking on these lines:

1) All the text in my templates, will be converted to image before a PDF is
written so that white spaces dont appear and print quality PDFs can be
generated.
2) In my templates, I can make use of SVG files which will have my custom
IDs. For example, where user can insert a text we can put a custom Id.
3) While generating a PDF, we can insert the custom text of the user on the
Id using Batik.

Please comment on this approach. I may sound complete novice in imaging. Yes
I am and that is why I am here with the experts.

Regards

Nitin