Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2007/08/21 17:45:27 UTC

Minutes of the Woden Status Telecon, 2007-08-21

Attendees: Lawrence Mandel, John Kaputin, Dan Harvey
Regrets: Arthur Ryman

Minutes

1. Open Action Items - Lawrence Mandel

2007-05-22 - John will follow up with Jeremy about the copyright question
in the status file.
2007-06-19
John: Jeremy was following up to ensure the paperwork for our WSDL4J
contribution was done. It's with IBM legal now. I'll follow up next week.
2007-06-26
John: I spoke to Jeremy last Tuesday. He's going to confirm that the
paperwork from IBM's perspective are complete.
2007-07-10
John: I spoke with Jeremy today. He couldn't get a hold of the legal
counsel yet. I'll hopefully have an answer for next week.
2007-07-17
John: Jeremy still hasn't got a response.
Lawrence: I spoke with the Apache secretary through e-mail. If we haven't
copied any WSDL4J code we may not need an agreement.
John: I think we copied some of the common utility code so we should get
this agreement in place.
2007-08-07
John: I spoke to Jeremy last week. He still doesn't have an answer yet.
2007-08-14
John: Jeremy has made some progress and hopes to have this completed
shortly.
2007-08-21
John: No update.

2007-07-10 - John will look at CodeHaus to try and find the license for
the Woodstox jar.
2007-07-17
John: The problem is with the API jar not the wstx jar. I reported this
problem on the latest WS board report.
Lawrence: There are a couple options. We can follow up with Axiom to see
if they've done the due diligence for this library. Two, we can try to
move to the Geronimo StAX API but in this case we'll need to ensure Axiom
plays well with the Geronimo API.
2007-08-07
John: No progress yet. I'm going to follow up with the Woodstox and Axiom
projects to see what they've done to reconcile the license.
2007-08-14
John: I'm about to post to the Apache WS list and will cross post a couple
other relevant lists to try and solicit more information. Someone should
know how Axis2 redistributes this jar.
Lawrence: It was suggested that we use the Geronimo StAX API but I don't
think this is an option as Axis2 and Axiom use the StAX API and we don't
know what kind of problems this will create.
2007-08-21
John: I sent an e-mail to axis and commons-dev lists today about this.

2007-05-22 - John will document the Woden decision making and development
processes on the Woden site.
2007-06-19
John: No progress.
2007-06-26
John: I'll revisit this in another week after I'm made some further
progress on the Woden extensions.
2007-07-10
John: No progress.
2007-07-17
John: No progress. I don't think I'll have a chance to take care of this
action this week.
2007-08-07
John: No progress. I think what's needed here is what a new developer
would need to get involved. Using Jira and the mailing list. Using the W3C
test suite. Open development. Milestones. I haven't had a chance to look
at the Apache documentation to see what exactly is required.
Lawrence: I'll look at the requirements and put up a skeleton document
that we can all work to fill in.
2007-08-14
Lawrence: I posted the skeleton doc last night.
Dan: I've started some documentation that I can contribute to this page.
2007-08-21
John: I haven't committed Dan's documentation for build and test yet. I'll
probably apply it this week.

2007-07-10 - John will follow up with Jeremy to make the change in SVN for
EOL.
2007-07-17
John: I haven't spoken with Jeremy yet. I had a look at the subclipse
client to figure out how to set the property. I haven't found the way yet.
2007-08-07
John: Dan has uploaded some patches to a Jira that he'll review with me
tomorrow. It looks like we'll need to configure each subversion client so
this is something each developer will have to do. We may need to capture
this in the process document.
2007-08-14
John: Dan created a config file and written documentation on how to apply
it, which will also go on the Web site. I'm going to review his writeup
and then add it to the Web site.
2007-08-21
John: I've updated my SVN client with Dan's instructions. I need to go
through all the files with inconsistent characters and correct them. This
is a one time activity. When I'm done I'll put the instructions on the
Woden site and send a note to the dev list asking everyone else to update
their clients.

2. Milestone 8 (M8) Status - John Kaputin

John: I've been working on Woden extensions, woden-47. Dan has some code
to instantiate an Eclipse plug-in registry and I've taken what he's done
and posted questions back to equinox list. The one real issue is the size
of the OSGi jar.
Lawrence: So using equinox will require about a meg. What size is Woden
currently?
John: 300Kb for just Woden. The current dependencies total roughly ~2.5
megs. My current thinking is to go ahead with what we've got and
investigate further in the long term.
Lawrence: I agree. We can move to equinox or add it on top afterwards.
Let's get through M8.

John: Dan's working on a number of Jiras this week. After they're done the
Jiras that are left mainly are to do with assertions.

3. Graduation from Incubation - Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence: We still have 3 outstanding issues that we discussed in the open
action items.

4. Development Discussion - All

Lawrence: John, I saw you reviewed Sagara's contribution. How's it look.
John: There are a number of TODOs and some formatting issues. Other than
that it looked good. It follows WSDL4J style. I've responded with
suggestions in the Jira. There is a compile error I asked him to fix. I've
created a woden-65 branch and will commit the code there once the problems
are fixed.

5. Other Business - All

John: Apache has received Sagara's ICLA.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel