Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Tan, Liao " <li...@citi.com> on 2008/06/20 15:54:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Not finding the port to HTTPS

All,

I doing tests with my https, and still it´s not working (my current http works fine). If you know how to help, pls gimme a support.

 I have all certificates, with all their directives in httpd-ssl.conf. Did several tests with the default port number 443, and it seems its not finding the correct port, cause the page gives me "Page not found".

 When I tried with port 443 and start the apache, it gives me:

"Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down"

 But when I try with port 7575, for ex., it lets me start the apache, but the https doesnt work as well.

 1)Can I guess its not finding the port? Where else I need to check?
 2)Must I have the files mod_ssl.so and mod_ssl.c in the directory, and then add the "LoadModule ....libexec/mod_ssl.so" and AddModule ....mod_ssl.c?

>> Here are the environment configuration:
>> Web server: Apache/2.0.46 (Unix) mod_jk/1.2.4
>> Server: -HP-UX
>> Tomcat: 4.0

Ingrid Liao
Citi Markets & Banking | CMB Technology
Brazil Technology Solutions Center | Business Intelligence, Database & Support Services
Tel. +55-11-3741-6274
Fax. +55-11-3741-6285
Email: liao.tan@citi.com

Re: [users@httpd] Not finding the port to HTTPS

Posted by Scott Courtney <sc...@sinenomine.net>.
On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:54 -0300, Tan, Liao wrote:
> "Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
> no listening sockets available, shutting down"

Are you starting Apache as root? Usually the daemon is started as root,
then does an internal "su" as it spawns its listeners. This allows the
master daemon to attach to low-numbered ports, which are privileged on
most systems.

>  But when I try with port 7575, for ex., it lets me start the apache,
> but the https doesnt work as well.

Port 7575 is in the unprivileged high numbers that are available to any
user.

You can also use "netstat -plan | grep :443" to see if some other daemon
is listening already on port 443, but I think the most likely cause is
that you didn't start the daemon from root. The "permission denied"
message probably means exactly what it says. :-)

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney <sc...@sinenomine.net>