Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Lionel van den Berg <li...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/06 00:29:57 UTC

Re: Out of memory exception

Sorry about the no response, I was monitoring and since we increased the
memory to 4Gb we hadn't seen an issue until two days ago. The memory use I
found was from top, the lab result we got where it "hung" hasn't happened
again, I'm not sure what else was at play there.

Two days ago we had an instance at site where it ran out of memory again at
4gb. The memory use climbed rapidly over under two hours from 2gb to 4gb
and then it threw the exception. We have a script monitoring which
restarted it, unfortunately we must have a bug in our client code so they
didn't automatically reconnect :(. Also unfortunately because it was at
site and we didn't have experts immediately available we failed to get the
logs.

So I'm sure we must have a bug in our system somewhere, my suspicion is on
our client side where the majority of subscribers are, and in particular
where the subscriptions are made to what I call dynamic topic names (topic
names are made at run time by altering one field that represents a device
id), so these subscriptions should come and go as the devices enter the
system and then are removed. I'm not sure if some of these could be leaking
so that that consumers are not being remove, but if this was the case we
don't expect more than 50 new ones per day so doesn't explain such a rapid
increase. I wonder if our consumers could be getting slow due to processing
load and if this can have any impact even though the topics are not durable?

Any further pointers on likely causes? And what kind of config could I look
at in AMQ that would possibly protect such scenarios? I realise it's almost
certainly an issue in our system code.

Also at site we have been monitoring memory usage through an NMS, and we
found that the minimum is around 800mb, this is fine, but it will grow to
say 2gb steadily and then suddenly it will drop over an hour or two back to
1gb or so. In the above case it was already at 2Gb of course. Is this
likely to be garbage collection? The drop in memory use was quite
infrequent, it could be 2 days which is odd to me.

Re: Out of memory exception

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I hate trying to troubleshoot memory usage; it's nearly impossible to do
well, especially after the fact. It's very hard to tell exactly what causes
the increase in memory.

When measuring memory, it's important to understand that top measures total
RAM, which 1) includes memory that's not on the heap, and 2) doesn't
differentiate between heap memory that's allocated and heap memory that's
free. In general, it's a pretty awful tool for evaluating memory issues,
and you'll be much better off with a JMX-based tool such as JConsole,
JVisualVM, Mission Control, etc.

One thing that comes to mind is that if you're using non-persistent
messages, they're written to the memory story, which keeps its messages in
(surprise, surprise) memory. If you haven't configured your limits to keep
that store significantly under your total heap size (I'd say 50% max), it's
possible that you just had a bunch of unconsumed messages pile up till they
filled it. Based on your description of a sudden, fast growth, that seems
like the most likely scenario, but I'm sure there are other possibilities
as well.

The pattern of memory usage you're describing in your final paragraph
doesn't sound like garbage collection. GC activity follows a saw-tooth
pattern, where it goes up and to the right for a while and then
instantaneously drops significantly before slowly growing again. Usually
this occurs pretty frequently, over a period of seconds or minutes, not
days. But again, you'd only see that via a JMX-based tool, not in top. What
you described might be the result of the JVM growing and shrinking the heap
over time (staying in the range between Xms and Xmx); there's clearly a
tie-in to the garbage collector there in that if you're not freeing up
significant amounts of memory the JVM will never consider shrinking the
heap, but it's not a direct result of GC activity per se.

Tim