Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Praveen Bysani <pr...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/10 11:27:36 UTC

Variable volume of messages across consumers

Hi,
I have the following setup in my project,

   1. multiple producers (p1,p2,p3) in Hongkong region sending variable
   size non-persistent messages to a topic t1 on the broker (b1) in
   Phillippines region
   2. p1,p2 and p3 send messages frequently (~1 second)
   3. each message has a time to live of 30 seconds
   4. a tcp network bridge from b1 to a new broker b2 in HK region
   5. consumers c1 in hongkong and c2 in europe subscribed to b2 through
   ssl and a consumer c3 subscribed to t1 on b1 through tcp

I don't see the same amount of messages received across c1, c2 and c3. The
number of messages received is in the following order c3 > c1 > c2. I use
the default settings for prefetch values and *vmCursor *for
*pendingSubscriberPolicy
*and *strictOrderDisptachpolicy*.

While i understand there could be delays in passing the message to these
consumers as c3 could be slow consumer and c1 is fast, shouldn't the
message eventually be received to all consumers of a topic. Why do i see
different volumes of messages across different consumers ? Someone please
help me understand what is going on !!

Another strange thing is after a while, there are no messages received  by
c2 for a very long period. I suppose it is due to the prefetch size ? Since
i am using a non persistent topic, the default value is quite high
(according to activemq documentation), which again baffles me if that is
really the reason.
Praveen Bysani
http://www.praveenbysani.com

Re: Variable volume of messages across consumers

Posted by Praveen Bysani <pr...@gmail.com>.
I did take a look at the activemq logs on both the brokers, i only have
information such as below in the primary broker. There is not much i can
infer from this.

2013-07-24 15:06:21,916 | DEBUG | bridging (localhost -> localhost)
5a2c1e2a-9df2-45a8-aebc-861c3ab271e0:1:1:161, consumer:
ID:global-desktop.com-40234-1374645969412-2:2:1:3, destination topic://DM,
brokerPath: [ID:global-desktop.com-40234-1374645969412-0:1], message:
ActiveMQBytesMessage {commandId = 165, responseRequired = false, messageId
= 5a2c1e2a-9df2-45a8-aebc-861c3ab271e0:1:1:161, originalDestination = null,
originalTransactionId = null, producerId =
ID:global-desktop.com-40234-1374645969412-2:1:1:1, destination =
topic://DM, transactionId = null, expiration = 1374649701750, timestamp =
1374649581750, arrival = 0, brokerInTime = 1374649581915, brokerOutTime =
1374649581916, correlationId = null, replyTo = null, persistent = false,
type = null, priority = 4, groupID = null, groupSequence = 0,
targetConsumerId = null, compressed = false, userID = null, content =
org.apache.activemq.util.ByteSequence@258185ce, marshalledProperties =
null, dataStructure = null, redeliveryCounter = 0, size = 16819, properties
= null, readOnlyProperties = false, readOnlyBody = false, droppable =
false} ActiveMQBytesMessage{ bytesOut = null, dataOut = null, dataIn = null
} | org.apache.activemq.network.DemandForwardingBridgeSupport | ActiveMQ
BrokerService[localhost] Task-10

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Praveen Bysani <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,