Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sh_santosh <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/08 08:32:27 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTPS and SSL certificate issue + PKIX = javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException

Dear all,

I am getting this exception while invoking(web services) or accessing
through java code.

The URL which i try to access is secured using Certificate.
Please see the exception -

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid certification path to requested target
	at
	at
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$6.run(HttpURLConnection.java:1202)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getChainedException(HttpURLConnection.java:1196)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:885)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionOldImpl.getInputStream(HttpsURLConnectionOldImpl.java:204)
	at webservices.icicilom.UseHttps.main(UseHttps.java:95)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid certification path to requested target
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:150)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1476)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:174)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:168)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:847)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:106)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:495)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:433)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:815)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1025)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1038)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:405)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:170)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:913)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getHeaderField(HttpURLConnection.java:1866)
	at java.net.URLConnection.getContentType(URLConnection.java:479)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionOldImpl.getContentType(HttpsURLConnectionOldImpl.java:352)
	at webservices.icicilom.UseHttps.main(UseHttps.java:92)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building
failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable
to find valid certification path to requested target
	at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:221)
	at
sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:145)
	at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:203)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:172)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.JsseX509TrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SSLContextImpl.java:320)
	at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:840)
	... 13 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:
unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:236)
	at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:194)
	at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:216)
	... 18 more

How to solve this issue ????

Please guide.

Regards,
Santosh Sharma

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS and SSL certificate issue + PKIX = javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:32 AM, sh_santosh <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am getting this exception while invoking(web services) or accessing
> through java code.
>
> The URL which i try to access is secured using Certificate.
> Please see the exception -
>
> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
> valid certification path to requested target

Does your trust-store contain your server's issuer certificate, and
all intermediate certificates between the root and your cert?

For the latter, mod_ssl can send the certificate chain instead.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com