Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Digumarthi, Prabhakar Venkata Surya" <Pr...@capitalone.com> on 2016/03/29 21:38:51 UTC

Using the new consumer client API 0.0.9

Hi All,

We are planning to use consumer client API  0.0.9, but the kafka documentation still says its beta quality.

Is there any timeline by when it becomes production ready  ?

The reason why we want to go with 0.9 is to avoid rework of migrating from 0.8.X client to 0.9.

Note: we are running 0.9 of kafka server

Thanks
Prabhakar

Re: Using the new consumer client API 0.0.9

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hi Oleg,

The binary protocol is compatible, so you don't have to worry about 0.9
consumers not working with 0.10. But the API changes to the Java client are
not binary compatible (you will have to recompile your code to use the 0.10
version of the client). Here is the KIP which details the changes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61337336.

-Jason

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
Jason