Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerry Lin <je...@lincircle.com> on 2024/03/10 17:39:39 UTC

how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Hello,

For those of us with a publicly accessible instance of Tomcat (e.g. not
behind Apache), is there a good way of having a renewed SSL/HTTPS
certificate take effect without restarting Tomcat?

Thank you,
Jerry

Re: how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 10, 2024, at 15:00, Jerry Lin <je...@lincircle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Presumably, you mean “not behind https", since “Apache” refers to the
>> organization that develops and maintains a plethora of software products.

Spell checker got me - I meant “httpd”, not “https”.

  - Chuck

Re: how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jerry,

On 3/11/24 14:51, Jerry Lin wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> There is also this:
>> https://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html#latest-lets-encrypt
>>
>> It's very LE-focused, but it shows you how to programmatically trigger a
>> reload.
>>

> Thanks for your presentation and script. We are using Let's Encrypt, so
> your material is quite relevant.

If I were to present that material today, it would be a lot shorter. In
fact, I was asked last-minute to fill-in for a missing speaker in
Halifax and I updated that presentation a bit and made it more of a
conversation with the audience.

I hadn't included anything about the automatic-update feature Tomcat has
added since the previous staging of that presentation and afterwards I
went in and removed something like 40% of the material in the presentation.

So it's all perfectly valid, but it's even easier to use LE with Tomcat,
now.

-chris

Re: how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Posted by Jerry Lin <je...@lincircle.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jerry,

On 3/10/24 16:00, Jerry Lin wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Presumably, you mean “not behind https", since “Apache” refers to the
>> organization that develops and maintains a plethora of software products.
>>

> Yes, “not behind https" (I meant not behind an Apache HTTP server)
>

>> you can configure the TLS config listener:
>>

>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/config/listeners.html#TLS_configuration_reload_listener_-_org.apache.catalina.security.TLSCertificateReloadListener
>

> Great, thanks! This is what I was looking for.

There is also this:
https://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html#latest-lets-encrypt

It's very LE-focused, but it shows you how to programmatically trigger a
reload.

Chuck's reference to the auto-reloading is even better if you don't mind
the background process checking for you, instead of
proactively-triggering the reload.

-chris

Re: how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Posted by Jerry Lin <je...@lincircle.com>.
Hi Chuck,

Presumably, you mean “not behind https", since “Apache” refers to the
> organization that develops and maintains a plethora of software products.

Yes, “not behind https" (I meant not behind an Apache HTTP server)

> you can configure the TLS config listener:
>

> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/config/listeners.html#TLS_configuration_reload_listener_-_org.apache.catalina.security.TLSCertificateReloadListener

Great, thanks! This is what I was looking for.

Regards,

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 10, 2024, at 12:39, Jerry Lin <je...@lincircle.com> wrote:
>
> For those of us with a publicly accessible instance of Tomcat (e.g. not
> behind Apache), is there a good way of having a renewed SSL/HTTPS
> certificate take effect without restarting Tomcat?

Presumably, you mean “not behind https", since “Apache” refers to the organization that develops and maintains a plethora of software products.

If you’re running on a supported version of Tomcat (you didn’t tell us what level you’re using), you can configure the TLS config listener:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/config/listeners.html#TLS_configuration_reload_listener_-_org.apache.catalina.security.TLSCertificateReloadListener

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/listeners.html#TLS_configuration_reload_listener_-_org.apache.catalina.security.TLSCertificateReloadListener

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/listeners.html#TLS_configuration_reload_listener_-_org.apache.catalina.security.TLSCertificateReloadListener

  - Chuck

AW: how to reload SSL certificates without restarting Tomcat

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.
I would have several parallel productive instances, and renew them in sequence to be always online -> on connection will be interrupted with the customer.

Best
Alex