Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/14 21:44:54 UTC

Building database Schema from a DTD

I just joined this list, so excuse me if this question has been asked.

I'm thinking about using Xindice for holding data for eLearning Content
Packages (see SCORM at adlnet.org for more information).  I'm wondering if
it's possible to use a DTD to build the initial schema for the database - or
if it is required at all.  I've seem some XML databases that do not require
a schema, and the db will use the document as the schema.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Building database Schema from a DTD

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 01:44 PM, Matt Raible wrote:

> I just joined this list, so excuse me if this question has been asked.
>
> I'm thinking about using Xindice for holding data for eLearning Content
> Packages (see SCORM at adlnet.org for more information).  I'm wondering if
> it's possible to use a DTD to build the initial schema for the database -
> or
> if it is required at all.  I've seem some XML databases that do not
> require
> a schema, and the db will use the document as the schema.

The database is schema independent so you can just add your documents
without predefining a schema.

> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/