Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Kharchenko <pe...@interactivebusiness.com> on 2000/04/17 22:58:18 UTC

XSLT questions.

Hi there,
  I have a couple of rather basic questions on associating XSLT stylesheets with XML
documents. I've read the w3c recommendation on that subject
(http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/), but couldn't find an
answer. I hope one of you guys can help me out.

 I was wondering if it's possible to associate stylesheet with a particular XML node
instead of a whole document. For example if I have the following document,
--------------------
<book>
  <index> ... </index>
  <chapter> ... </chapter>
  <chapter> ... </chapter>
</book>
--------------------
 I would like to associate a different stylesheet with each of the <chapter> nodes
(because chapters might differ in their formats).
In java, there's a straightforward way of applying a stylesheet to a DOM tree
specified by a particular node, such as a <chapter> element, however I do not know a
way of creating an XML processing instruction to do that. Is there a way to do that,
or are we restricted to specifying stylesheet binding only to the entire document ?

Second question is somewhat similar. I would like to have an XML document that
includes other XML documents. Does cocoon support Xinclude syntax (<xinclude:include
href="other.xml"/>) ? And, if so, how are the XSLT transformations performed ? If
"other.xml" specifies its own stylesheet, will it be processed prior to stylesheets
specified in the main document ?

Sorry if my questions are very basic. If the answers are obvious, please point me an
example I can look at :)

Thanks,
-peter.

Re: XSLT questions.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Since we are in the middle of a big shift between the 1.7 and 2.0 tree,
> > we don't want to waste time writing docs that we'll be throwing away in
> > a couple of months.
>
> A couple of months? Is that a promise? ;-)

Beta for June, we said.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: XSLT questions.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Since we are in the middle of a big shift between the 1.7 and 2.0 tree,
> we don't want to waste time writing docs that we'll be throwing away in
> a couple of months.

A couple of months? Is that a promise? ;-)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: XSLT questions.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: XSLT questions.

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.
Peter Kharchenko wrote :

>   I have a couple of rather basic questions on associating XSLT stylesheets with XML
> documents. I've read the w3c recommendation on that subject
> (http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/), but couldn't find an
> answer. I hope one of you guys can help me out.

I did not find any good documentation about XSLT. It's really painful.
(And it's the same for XSP and taglib, Cocoon is an hard way !)

>  I was wondering if it's possible to associate stylesheet with a particular XML node
> instead of a whole document. For example if I have the following document,
> --------------------
> <book>
>   <index> ... </index>
>   <chapter> ... </chapter>
>   <chapter> ... </chapter>
> </book>
> --------------------
>  I would like to associate a different stylesheet with each of the <chapter> nodes
> (because chapters might differ in their formats).

You can associate a template with a particular element using XPath using
something
like :

<xsl:template match="book">
	(...)
		<xsl:apply-templates select="index">
		<xsl:apply-templates select="chapter[1]" mode="style1" />
		<xsl:apply-templates select="chapter[2]" mode="style2" />
	(...)
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="chapter" mode="style1">
	(...)
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="chapter" mode="style2">
	(...)
</xsl:template>

With XPath, you can select a particular chapter, on it's position (for
example every other
chapter), or on an chapter attribute (better), using
select="chapter[@style='value']"

--
Seb

Re: XSLT questions.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Peter Kharchenko wrote:

> Second question is somewhat similar. I would like to have an XML
> document that includes other XML documents. Does cocoon support
> Xinclude syntax (<xinclude:include href="other.xml"/>) ? And, if so,
> how are the XSLT transformations performed ? If "other.xml" specifies
> its own stylesheet, will it be processed prior to stylesheets
> specified in the main document ?

Not in cocoon 1, only in cocoon2.

- donald