Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Reto Mayer <re...@gmx.de> on 2006/05/17 09:45:36 UTC

Using Axis for WSDL parsing and SOAP Message generation

Hello,

I am new to Axis and didn't find anything about this in the docs, so
here it goes. I am trying to use Axis for two things:

1) I want to read already-existing WSDL to find out about the structure
of (XML Schema-based) message parts. I am imagining an API which would
allow me to "walk" the WSDL operations, messages, parts, and data types.
All of this, however, without generating any Java code with WSDL2Java,
but on the fly. Axis does this inside WSDL2Java - is there some simple
example for this / is this a use case for Axis at all? I tried reading
the WSDL2Java code but got lost and confused.

2) I want to generate SOAP messages based on "literal" XML Elements. The
XML elements are valid according to an XML Schema and have the data
types required for message parts of WSDL (either basic or complex). What
I'm trying to do is read the WSDL, specify a binding and message from
that WSDL, and have Axis serialize (not send) the message with my XML
elements to whatever binding/encoding is selected in the
wsdl-binding/operation. Is this possible? How? Could anyone post a code
example?

Could anyone point me into the right direction? Thanks!

Reto

Re: Using Axis for WSDL parsing and SOAP Message generation

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
There are two standard Java APIs:

1- WSDL4J (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wsdl4j) provides an API for
walking a WSDL document. (You need a different API for walking the Schema,
though.)

2- SAAJ (implemented in Axis) provides an API for constructing a SOAP
message.

Anne