Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/06/25 05:45:40 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

(Changed the subject)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to see initial data type APIs ship out with 0.95.2. A patch for
> ordered byte serialization is up (HBASE-8201) and is nearing steady-state.
> However, sershe is the only person who's left feedback. I just posted an
> early patch for the data type API itself (HBASE-8693). It should get some
> eyes from all manor of interested parties, but I'll settle for folk from
> Phoenix for now.

It would be cool if Phoenix and Kiji fellows and any one else interested
would weigh in and take a look see.

This does not strike me as something we should hold up the release for
though.  It looks like something that could go in at any time?

> Should these tasks be escalated to criticals in order to grab attention?

I don't think that works going by past experience (and I don't think this a
blocker on 0.96)

> Additional comments inline.

> Namespaces is the long pole and progress seems slow.  Do we hold up the
> > release for them?  How can we hurry this effort along?  Swat team
> descends
> > on Y!?
> >

> It would be a shame to not get a decision on this in for 0.96.

Agree.  We need to get 0.96 out though.  It has been too long.

> + Is anyone testing?  Integration tests fail on ec2 build from time to time
> > [2].  Our Elliott dug in on one of the failures a few days back and found
> > legit issue w/ no retry on admin tasks (I heart hbase-it tests).  Our
> unit
> > test story is better [3] but there are still the odd failures.
> >

> With the creation of the new list, noticing these issues is going to push
> further back-burner. Nannying this stuff should retain focus. I'll
> volunteer to track on these issues as I see them.

Thank you Nick.

> Notice though that some of the more recent failures are caused by lack of
> disk space on the Jenkins build host.

Oh.  Missed that.  Let me dig in.

St.Ack

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
> These are both criticals.  Maybe they should be blocker altogether since
> can't ship w/o them.

Ok, did that.

>  > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6929 (same for 0.94 and
> 0.96)
> >

> This is a 0.94 issue.  Could fall out from hbase-8224 work.

Agreed, as long as HBASE-8224 will enable us to publish 0.96-hadoop2 to
mvn, and at the time of release we do that, we are golden. 0.94-hadoop2 is
not a blocker.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Stack for pushing us.

For packaging, I think we should fix:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6929 (same for 0.94 and 0.96)

For migration, there are some steps that the a user has to perform before
going to 0.96 (recompile with 0.96, select hadoop1 or hadoop2, some minor
class renamings, etc), we should document these steps in the book. (I don't
remember we already have an open jira for this.)

For testing, IT tests are rapidly improving. We will also start running
those (or a subset of those) against 0.96.

Enis

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > I love the idea of bigtop packaging.  Should we do new issue for that?
>  Or
>  just use 8224.
>
> Ok, did both. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1029, and
> linked to 8224, with comment there.

Excellent.

> > http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade0.96
>
> Let's see about scripting that for repeatable testing.

Yeah.  I can work on that.... do the old school tarball of 0.94 data, undo
it in a test, and run 0.96 over it.

> > it unlikely that a *design* at this stage will make the cut given
> completed patches may not make it for want of review, etc., etc
>
> Patch, not design, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Ok.  Patch has better chance than a design of making it in.

Good on you A,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> > +Packaging
>
> I would like to help you on this. Can do packaging and testing using the
> Bigtop framework. I see HBASE-8187, but it's resolved. Elsewhere we
> can coordinate? Could open a Bigtop jira. Whatever you prefer.

I was most concerned about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8224-- publishing to mvn.
That is what has me stumped at the moment.

I love the idea of bigtop packaging.  Should we do new issue for that?  Or
just use 8224.  It has a few watchers -- downstreamers -- so it might be
better to hang there at least at first.

> > +Migration
>
> As part of the above. Test by starting with an 0.94 install on a small
> cluster, load up some data, shut down and upgrade packages, try to
> (re)launch...

Yes, following the (as-yet-incomplete) instruction here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade0.96

> > What else?
>
> I beg your patience as RM. Some guys here have been working diligently for
> the past couple of months on something that is in our estimation 0.96able.
> Won't go into it here because they have been passing around a proposal for
> dev@ since the weekend, to make sure it says what they want. Will be out
> in
> the next day or so for the consideration of all.

Ain't no need to beg.  Lets have a look at it before making a call.  I'll
spare the rehearsal that it is very late in the game, etc., etc., and that
it unlikely that a *design* at this stage will make the cut given completed
patches may not make it for want of review, etc., etc .... But lets see.

Thanks Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> bq. Francis' namespaces is in need of review
>
> I plan to review this feature.
>
> The latest update to https://github.com/francisliu/hbase_namespace lagged
> the last comment on HBASE-8015
> I wonder if there are more significant changes to be made.

He moved his work to the github mentioned in the issue.  Go there for his
latest work.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. Francis' namespaces is in need of review

I plan to review this feature.

The latest update to https://github.com/francisliu/hbase_namespace lagged
the last comment on HBASE-8015
I wonder if there are more significant changes to be made.

Cheers

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
STATUS

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> BTW I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention the work done over in
> HADOOP-9421. Sanjay Radia has been telling me that a corresponding work
> should be done in HBase as well. That will help keep the compatibility
> story straight when the work to do with pluggable authentication mechanisms
> happening elsewhere in the ecosystem takes shape..
>
> Any thoughts?

There is no description of what was finally decided on?

Looks like client initiates and then server and client can negotiate?

Can't we up the rpc version when we want to add support for negotiated
protocols?  If so, this does not have to hold up 0.96?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> However doing the equivalent patch
> for HADOOP-9421 in HBase will probably be easier and doable for 0.96...

If someone shows up with a patch equivalent to HADOOP-9421 for HBase real
soon now let's look at it. Maybe that is good enough and we will be able to
finesse common authentication on top of two divergent RPC stacks.

Let me throw out there a third way: Hadoop and HBase gets together right
now in a "protobuf RPC wire format working group" and solves at least the
wire side of the problem before one or the other ships something that has
to be set going forward. On the HBase side, that's happening real soon now,
perhaps as early as the end of the month.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > > so we might look at using Hadoop RPC directly again?
> >
> > Totally agree with that thought, Andrew. I must admit that I don't know
> > about all the context on why the HBase RPC forked in the first place :-)
> >

> Bug fixes and speed optimizations
>

> > Your suggestion on using the Hadoop RPC work here makes sense. I am not
> too
> > sure whether that is practical in the short term though (we would need to
> > put in Tracing framework calls in Hadoop RPC and so on). IMO this will
> > further delay the 0.96 shipping as well. However doing the equivalent
> patch
> > for HADOOP-9421 in HBase will probably be easier and doable for 0.96...
> >

> That patch won't go in to hbase.  Can you sketch the back and forth finally
> decided upon in an issue?  If you do this, I could help on how you might
> get it in.

I meant to say that using Hadoop RPC with changes needed for HBase to work
makes sense (and, of course, not the patch directly from HADOOP-9421 :-) )

But I'll write up the proposal implemented in HADOOP-9421 in a HBASE jira
and we can go from there.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > That patch won't go in to hbase.
>

> What if we and Hadoop can come up with a common RPC connection setup, like
> PB-based SASL negotiation and a common version header? Then there are
> options post-singularity.

Hopefully, the HADOOP-9421 is a step in that direction. I am going to spend
some time on HADOOP-9421.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
BTW I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention the work done over in
HADOOP-9421. Sanjay Radia has been telling me that a corresponding work
should be done in HBase as well. That will help keep the compatibility
story straight when the work to do with pluggable authentication mechanisms
happening elsewhere in the ecosystem takes shape..

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Devaraj