Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com> on 2014/02/06 23:41:51 UTC

Who wants to trade data?

I have 700,000 IP addresses of hackers trying to send email using stolen
authentication. Anyone interested?

http://ipadmin.junkemailfilter.com/auth-hack.txt

--
Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
support@junkemailfilter.com

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2014-02-09 22:07, Marc Perkel wrote:

> The list is just auth fooled users over the last 30 days.

could you track, sender domains from auth fooled ips, is sender domain
dnssec or not ?

this would be usefull data to collect

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2014-02-06 23:41, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I have 700,000 IP addresses of hackers trying to send email using
> stolen authentication. Anyone interested?
>
> http://ipadmin.junkemailfilter.com/auth-hack.txt

q: how many is listed in spamhaus pbl ?
q: is dnswl filtered out ?

or is the list just auth fooled users ?

if there dns service is unstable how can you verify its not stolen ?

q: would you provide the list for xtables_addons geoip in csv formated
list ?

this could then be used to create A0 country codes or another that is
not used in geoip

the last question is here since it would be lowmem and not hard to do
:=)

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Neil Schwartzman <ne...@cauce.org>.
On Feb 7, 2014, at 6:08 AM, Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu> wrote:

> On 2014-02-07 01:33, Noel Butler wrote:
>> else we'd have seen a url in one of his posts
>> advertising it, therefore can be considered UCE
>
> agree if its free to download its not spam, i just think its the grey zone here

Sorry, no. The cost of a payload isn’t relevant to the determination is something is spam. Spam is unsolicited and (generally) bulk. I am offered ‘free’ subscriptions to things all the time, by spam.

That said, i think someone offering anti-spam data to an anti-spam list is *collegial*, not spam, and the fact that it is free is even more collegial.

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 19:20 -0500, Rob McEwen wrote:

> On 2/6/2014 6:59 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> > spams an anti-spam list
>
> so sharing/discussing data/intel about spammers on an anti-spam list...
> is spamming? Really?

When you post the same thing almost weekly, yes, it is.

you only need ask once, or tell people the list is available free to
d/l, if they want it, they'll act, an offer of trade also implies not
free-for-all, else we'd have seen a url in one of his posts advertising
it, therefore can be considered UCE

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
On 2/6/2014 6:59 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> spams an anti-spam list

so sharing/discussing data/intel about spammers on an anti-spam list...
is spamming? Really?

--
Rob McEwen
invaluement.com

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com>.
On 2014-02-06 19:30, Noel Butler wrote:
> so, how about EVERYONE with list of IP's who try compromise or abuse
> systems, start offering them for sale on here, then lets see what you
> think.

Maybe you were reading a different mailing list than I am, but the
message I received didn't have any commercial sales offer, it offered up
the link freely (and indicated he might be interested in receiving
similar data, hence, a trade)

Given that it's loosely on-topic (anti-email-abuse, anti-spam),
SpamAssassin's mailing list doesn't seem to have a "Thou shall only
speaketh regarding SpamAssassin" policy, and non-commercial (free access
to the data, without any preconditions), I'm having trouble seeing the
problem.

I'd also like to say that I think it's awesome when commercial vendors
give back to the community, in large or small ways.

But that's just me.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Amir Caspi <ce...@3phase.com>.
Don't know if you noticed but his email earlier today included a link to a txt file with the list if IPs. Free. Just DL if you want. No sale, no money.

I don't see commercial pressure here when he gave it away already.

(I don't know the guy and don't plan to use the list, but just wanted to point out that he provided it already, for free, no request or implication for money.)

--- Amir
thumbed via iPhone

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.

Re: Who wants to trade data?

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Err,

I have received automated emails from Mark's service multiple times about compromised users.

He and his services are definitely white hat, and have helped us knock infected users off line.

Not sure what your problem is.

Regards,

Rick

Sent from my iPad