Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Schmid, David" <sc...@cajvc.com> on 2001/09/14 18:01:43 UTC

Next release?

 Not trying to be pushy or anything, but for planning purposes:

 Any idea when the next official release might be available?

 A guess to within several weeks would suite my needs just fine...

Thanks

Re: Next release?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> So do we want an official release Xerces-C 1.6 by Dec where full schema
> support is available?
>
> Or release Xerces-C 1.6 in Oct which has partial schema support (and not
> extensively tested) in Oct, and then another Xerces-C 1.7 with full
> schema support in Dec?

Hey Tinny,

My vote is for a 1.5.2 release due to the many bug fixes (especially
with IDOM and the memory enhancements), and then keep 1.6 on target
for Dec.

Once you have full schema support, you may want to call it 2.0???

jas.

RE: Validating International Data Types

Posted by David Cleary <da...@progress.com>.
To support interoperability, the number of lexical representations a
datatype can support was limited. So, no, there is no way to validate a
number that is formated with a different lexical representation than what is
prescribed in the XML Schema specification. The solution is to leave
formatting in the presentation layer of the application while sticking to
the basics in your XML document.

David Cleary

Re: using for schema validation with xerces 1.6

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
By default the attribute 'processContents' for <any> is 'strict' which means
there must be a top-level declaration for the item available:

    processContents = (lax | skip | strict) : strict

So if the element <test> is not declared anywhere, then the parser will
issue an error saying 'not found'.   If you don't want the parser to locate
the declaration, please set processContents to lax or skip.

Besides you need to set mixed='true' in order to allow character content
model in <AnyNamespaceTest>.

So to validate your sample xml, the schems should look like:

<element name="AnyNamespaceTest">
<complexType mixed='true'>
<sequence>
<any processContents='lax'/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
</element>
</schema>

Tinny

Re: Next release?

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
I guess this is based on users' request and amount of development work
achieved or number of major bug fixes made.

Regarding the schema development, it is still on track.  Many more
features such as union/list, float/double datatype, group/all,
any/anyAttribute, xsi:type .... are now implemented in the latest CVS
code base already.

Outstanding schema features are:
1. Data/Time/Month Datatype
2. Identity Constraints (key/keyref/unique)
3. Annotation
4. Particle Derivation Constraints Checking
5. .... Plus more extensive testing ....

They should be completed by Dec as targeted.

So do we want an official release Xerces-C 1.6 by Dec where full schema
support is available?

Or release Xerces-C 1.6 in Oct which has partial schema support (and not
extensively tested) in Oct, and then another Xerces-C 1.7 with full
schema support in Dec?

FYI

Xerces-C 1.3 was released on Sept 2000;
Xerces-C 1.4 was released on Jan 2001;
Xerces-C 1.5 was released on June 2001, and bug-fix release Xerces-C
1.5.1 was released on July 2001

The trend used to be 4~5 months apart  .......

Regards,

Tinny Ng
XML Parsers Development
IBM Toronto Laboratory, email: tng-xml@ca.ibm.com