Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <je...@migasia.com> on 2003/01/20 02:41:53 UTC

start parameter of mutlipart/related ... addr-spec syntax in RFC 822

RFC 2387 ( Section 3.4 ) says that the start parameter of a
multipart/related is msg-id based on RFC 822

RFC 822 on the other hand says that msg-id's syntax  is based on addr-spec:

Section 4.1:
msg-id = "<" addr-spec ">" ; Unique message id

Section 6:
addr-spec = local-part "@" domain ; global address

My question therefore is:
Apache-SOAP, when specifying the start parameter of the
multipart-related, does not not strictly follow the syntax for addr-spec
( e.g.: No "@" domain ).
Is this important / relevant? If not ... why did RFC 822 says that
addr-spec ( and therefore msg-id and start parameter for
multipart/related ) should have local-part@domain?

The example below shows that the start parameter has the value
4035210.1042701018008.apache-soap.johnp4.
Here is the sample taken from a sniffer:

POST /soap/servlet/messagerouter HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.0.82:8080
SOAPAction: ""

------=_Part_1_64111.1042701017867

.... snip ....

Re: start parameter of mutlipart/related ... addr-spec syntax in RFC 822

Posted by "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <je...@migasia.com>.
Scott Nichol wrote:

>Thanks for the info.  I see that this value is created in
>MimeUtils.getUniqueValue.  I will look into changing it.

I guess just needed to make sure that the change made does not affect
other parts of a MIME message whose syntax does NOT require ( or does
NOT allow the @ character )?

Re: start parameter of mutlipart/related ... addr-spec syntax in RFC 822

Posted by "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <je...@migasia.com>.

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

On 21 Jan 2003 at 9:59, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

> [...]
>                            ( cid-list / value ) ]
>                         [ ";" "type"  "=" type "/" subtype ]
>                         ; order independent
>
> cid             := msg-id     ; c.f. [822]
>

> RFC 822 says:
>
> msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id
> addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address
>
>      local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
>                                                  ; case-preserved
>
>      domain      =  sub-domain *("." sub-domain)
>
>      sub-domain  =  domain-ref / domain-literal
>

> >The serialization
> >of payloads containing attachments is done by code from JavaMail.
> >

> I know ... except that ... the start parameter is actually set by Apache
> SOAP.
>
>  From the example again that I gave earlier:
>
> POST /soap/servlet/messagerouter HTTP/1.0
> Host: 192.168.0.82:8080
> SOAPAction: ""
>

> .... you can see that the start parameter has the string "apache-soap" within its value, and the value itself seems to be taken via a call from MimeUtils.getUniqueValue() ... based on the javadoc for that method and based on my usage of that method as well.
>
> What I am essentially saying is that the code in Apache-SOAP _can_ make the value of the start parameter conform the syntax mentioned above. I am just wondering what the effects are of not following the syntax to a non-Apache-SOAP service that receives mutlipart messages from an Apache-SOAP
client.

> >Perhaps someone has questioned Sun on this point before...you might
> >want to check their site.
> >
> >On 20 Jan 2003 at 12:41, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:
> >

> >>RFC 2387 ( Section 3.4 ) says that the start parameter of a
> >>multipart/related is msg-id based on RFC 822
> >>
> >>RFC 822 on the other hand says that msg-id's syntax  is based on addr-spec:
> >>
> >>Section 4.1:
> >>msg-id = "<" addr-spec ">" ; Unique message id
> >>
> >>Section 6:
> >>addr-spec = local-part "@" domain ; global address
> >>
> >>My question therefore is:
> >>Apache-SOAP, when specifying the start parameter of the
> >>multipart-related, does not not strictly follow the syntax for addr-spec
> >>( e.g.: No "@" domain ).
> >>Is this important / relevant? If not ... why did RFC 822 says that
> >>addr-spec ( and therefore msg-id and start parameter for
> >>multipart/related ) should have local-part@domain?
> >>
> >>The example below shows that the start parameter has the value
> >>4035210.1042701018008.apache-soap.johnp4.
> >>Here is the sample taken from a sniffer:
> >>

> >>POST /soap/servlet/messagerouter HTTP/1.0
> >>Host: 192.168.0.82:8080
> >>SOAPAction: ""
> >>
> >>------=_Part_1_64111.1042701017867
> >>
> >>.... snip ....
> >>

> >>--
> >>

> >Scott Nichol
> >

> >--

> Jesus M. Salvo Jr.
> Mobile Internet Group Pty Ltd
> (formerly Softgame International Pty Ltd)

Scott Nichol

Re: start parameter of mutlipart/related ... addr-spec syntax in RFC 822

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

Posted by "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <je...@migasia.com>.
Scott Nichol wrote:

>I don't know the particulars of the RFCs you cite.

The RFCs says:

RFC 2387:

related-param   := [ ";" "start" "=" cid ]
                        [ ";" "start-info"  "="
                           ( cid-list / value ) ]
                        [ ";" "type"  "=" type "/" subtype ]
                        ; order independent

cid             := msg-id     ; c.f. [822]

RFC 822 says:

msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id
addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address

     local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
                                                 ; case-preserved

     domain      =  sub-domain *("." sub-domain)

     sub-domain  =  domain-ref / domain-literal

>The serialization
>of payloads containing attachments is done by code from JavaMail.

I know ... except that ... the start parameter is actually set by Apache
SOAP.

 From the example again that I gave earlier:

Posted by "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <je...@migasia.com>.
Scott Nichol wrote:

>I don't know the particulars of the RFCs you cite.

The RFCs says:

RFC 2387:

related-param   := [ ";" "start" "=" cid ]
                        [ ";" "start-info"  "="
                           ( cid-list / value ) ]
                        [ ";" "type"  "=" type "/" subtype ]
                        ; order independent

cid             := msg-id     ; c.f. [822]

RFC 822 says:

msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id
addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address

     local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
                                                 ; case-preserved

     domain      =  sub-domain *("." sub-domain)

     sub-domain  =  domain-ref / domain-literal

>The serialization
>of payloads containing attachments is done by code from JavaMail.

I know ... except that ... the start parameter is actually set by Apache
SOAP.

 From the example again that I gave earlier:

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I don't know the particulars of the RFCs you cite.  The serialization
of payloads containing attachments is done by code from JavaMail.
Perhaps someone has questioned Sun on this point before...you might
want to check their site.

On 20 Jan 2003 at 12:41, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

> RFC 2387 ( Section 3.4 ) says that the start parameter of a
> multipart/related is msg-id based on RFC 822
>
> RFC 822 on the other hand says that msg-id's syntax  is based on addr-spec:
>
> Section 4.1:
> msg-id = "<" addr-spec ">" ; Unique message id
>
> Section 6:
> addr-spec = local-part "@" domain ; global address
>
> My question therefore is:
> Apache-SOAP, when specifying the start parameter of the
> multipart-related, does not not strictly follow the syntax for addr-spec
> ( e.g.: No "@" domain ).
> Is this important / relevant? If not ... why did RFC 822 says that
> addr-spec ( and therefore msg-id and start parameter for
> multipart/related ) should have local-part@domain?
>
> The example below shows that the start parameter has the value
> 4035210.1042701018008.apache-soap.johnp4.
> Here is the sample taken from a sniffer:
>

> POST /soap/servlet/messagerouter HTTP/1.0
> Host: 192.168.0.82:8080
> SOAPAction: ""
>
> ------=_Part_1_64111.1042701017867
>
> .... snip ....

Scott Nichol

Re: start parameter of mutlipart/related ... addr-spec syntax in RFC 822

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I don't know the particulars of the RFCs you cite.  The serialization
of payloads containing attachments is done by code from JavaMail.
Perhaps someone has questioned Sun on this point before...you might
want to check their site.

On 20 Jan 2003 at 12:41, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

> RFC 2387 ( Section 3.4 ) says that the start parameter of a
> multipart/related is msg-id based on RFC 822
>
> RFC 822 on the other hand says that msg-id's syntax  is based on addr-spec:
>
> Section 4.1:
> msg-id = "<" addr-spec ">" ; Unique message id
>
> Section 6:
> addr-spec = local-part "@" domain ; global address
>
> My question therefore is:
> Apache-SOAP, when specifying the start parameter of the
> multipart-related, does not not strictly follow the syntax for addr-spec
> ( e.g.: No "@" domain ).
> Is this important / relevant? If not ... why did RFC 822 says that
> addr-spec ( and therefore msg-id and start parameter for
> multipart/related ) should have local-part@domain?
>
> The example below shows that the start parameter has the value
> 4035210.1042701018008.apache-soap.johnp4.
> Here is the sample taken from a sniffer:
>

> POST /soap/servlet/messagerouter HTTP/1.0
> Host: 192.168.0.82:8080
> SOAPAction: ""
>
> ------=_Part_1_64111.1042701017867

Scott Nichol