Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/07/15 01:59:21 UTC

[proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Hello,

The OSGi community at large, several Apache committers and members would
like to start a new project based on the existing Oscar OSGi Container
which Richard Hall is graciously willing to donate.  Without further
commentary we present to you the proposal for the Oscar project:

Project Oscar
==========

Motivation
----------

Unlike .NET, which requires that applications are packaged as assemblies
with explicit dependencies among them, the Java platform does not offer
sufficient support for modularity. This lack of support complicates not
only Java application development, but also subsequent deployment and
administration. Many of the complications result from the fact that
every project that requires some form of modularity ends up inventing
their own ClassLoader-based approach for solving their needs. This
phenomenon is evident in application servers, integrated development
environments, and any component- or plugin-oriented systems. The OSGi
framework defined by the OSGi Alliance has a long history of addressing
these types of issues and the imminent release of version R4 of the OSGi
specification is set to move the OSGi framework even further along
this path.

The recent adoption of OSGi technology as the modularity layer of the
Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) underscores the inroads that OSGi
technology has made. Further, the announcement of JSR 277 verifies that
demand for modularity in Java has reached a critical point.

This project can serve the greater Java open source community by
providing immediate modularity support for Java applications today
through the OSGi framework, creating a unifying community around open
source OSGi technology, and tracking and participating in the progression
of JSR 277.

Proposal
--------

We propose the creation of a new Apache project, Oscar, that will achieve
the following goals :

1) create a compliant, independent implementation of the OSGi R4 core
   framework with framework-dependent services under the Apache License,
   Version 2.0.

2) unify resources from the OSGi community to implement, document, maintain,
   and support standard OSGi R4 services.

3) provide a focal point for the OSGi community to develop interfaces, APIs,
   and other common needs not fully specified by the OSGi R4 specification,
   such as store interfaces, aspects of the runtime container's packaging
   and configuration, and the design and behavior of bundle repositories.

4) provide a focal point for the open-source OSGi community to develop next
   generation enhancements to the core framework and act as a conduit for
   the open-source community to the OSGi Alliance.

5) evangelize the OSGi Service Platform within Apache and provide documentation
   and support for successful container migrations.

Starting Participants
---------------------

We propose that the following people are considered the starting participants.
We hope to start with a diverse cross-section of the community and preserve
this as we grow. The information in parenthesis indicates other community
participation or relevant experiences of that individual.

These individuals have expressed an interest in participating in the
architecture and design work and in participating as committers for the
Apache-licensed implementation :

   Richard Hall (OSGi Alliance (Invited Researcher) and Founder of the Oscar project)
   Alex Karasulu (Apache)
   Enrique Rodriguez (Apache)
   Trustin Lee (Apache)

These individuals will participate as Incubator Mentors :

   Alex Karasulu (Apache)

The following Apache Members will be the sponsoring members :

   Alex Karasulu (Apache)
   Noel Bergman (Apache)
   Carsten Ziegeler (Apache)
   Berin Loritsch (Apache)

The following community members support this effort :

   Daniel Fagerstrom (Apache)
   Niclas Hedhman (Apache)
   Peter Kriens (OSGi Alliance (Director of Technology) and Managing Director, aQute)
   Reinhard Poetz (Apache)
   Stefano Mazzocchi (Apache)
   Marcel Offermans (+2 others, Luminis)
   Rob Walker (Ascert, LLC)
   Gerald Friedland (Researcher, Freie Universität Berlin, E-Chalk Project)
   Timothy Bennett (Apache and Metro Government of Nashville/Davidson County)
   Juan Alonso (Independent)
   Stéphane Frénot (Associate Professor, INSA-Lyon/INRIA)
   Humberto Cervantes (Service Binder author and Professor/Researcher, UAM Iztapalapa)
   Emil Ivov (Ph.D. Candidate, Louis Pasteur University, Strasboug, France)
   Tom Enderes (CTO, Gatewide LLC)
   Eric Swindell (Software Craftsman, Caribbean Blue)
   Jesus Bermejo (Independent)
   David Ence (Lockheed Martin)
   Ed Anuff (DriveFire)
   Rick Litton (Kyocera)
   Peter Neubauer (OPS4J)
   Francesco Furfari (Domoware, Domotics Lab, ISTI-CNR)
   Stefano Lenzi (Domoware, Domotics Lab, ISTI-CNR)
   Matteo Demuru (Domoware, Domotics Lab, ISTI-CNR)
   Karl Pauls (Raccoon/Eureka/Sopa, Researcher (DFG), Fu-Berlin)
   Andreas Oberhack (Apache)

Operating Considerations
------------------------

We have established a list for discussions. Unless your comment is directed
to the general Incubator community or the Incubator PMC, please post
everything to :

     oscar-dev@incubator.apache.org

You can subscribe by sending an email to

     oscar-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

Until this proposal has been accepted by the Apache Incubator PMC, these lists
are provisional.

--
Alex Karasulu                                  +1-904-982-6992
akarasulu@apache.org

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> As a matter of fact let me ask right now with a request to
> infrastructure for these dev lists.  Could the oscar-dev@i.a.o be
> created soon?

Done.

....Roy

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Reinhard,

We still have yet to setup the lists.  I will make the request today.
Sorry about the inconvenience.  Several people have already tried to
subscribe.

As a matter of fact let me ask right now with a request to
infrastructure for these dev lists.  Could the oscar-dev@i.a.o be
created soon?

Thank you kindly,
Alex

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

<os...@incubator.apache.org>:

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Overnight we gained 5 more supporters.

    Heejune Ahn (Independent)
    Yalcin Akdogan (Zeroadmin Software)
    Juan C. Dueñas (ITEA/Eureka researcher and Associate Professor, DIT-UPM)
    José L. Ruiz (PhD Candidate, DIT-UPM)
    Manuel Santillan (PhD Candidate, DIT-UPM)

Enrique

<snip/>

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> The Apache Software Foundation has applied to participate on the  JSR.
> Currently, the ASF projects interested in this JSR are Harmony  and
> Maven.  I assume that people from OSCAR are?

Yes, Richard Hall of Oscar.

Enrique

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

geir@optonline.net

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
IIRC there were some folks already formally rep'ing ASF. Check with Geir
please ..

Sanjiva.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 .. do you guys plan for Oscar to become a JSR 277 impl as well? Are
the ASF folks on that JSR involved with Oscar?)

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 19:51, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

SO SORRY, I must be too tired...

Don't know why I referencing Justin, when **Roy** is the one who is concerned.

My deepest apologies.
Niclas

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>> Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
>>> accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the
>>> existing code
>>> base.
>>>
>>> Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin
>>> Incubation
>>> of the project?
>>

>> My concerns were aimed at graduation, not beginning incubation.
>> I already created the mailing lists based on the number of
>> incubator members already indicating support.
>

> I take it this is the green light for us to start collecting the
> required CLAs, Grants and knocking on infrastructure's door?  I'll kick
> off  the process.

Great, it sounds like Alex will get on infra and I'll facilitate Richard
Hall's completion of a Software Grant and CLA and, once SVN infra is
ready and his doco is in, make sure he has the necessary config to get
his development line committed.

Enrique

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
>>> contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.
>>

>> Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
>> accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the
>> existing code
>> base.
>>
>> Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin
>> Incubation
>> of the project?
>

> My concerns were aimed at graduation, not beginning incubation.
> I already created the mailing lists based on the number of
> incubator members already indicating support.

I take it this is the green light for us to start collecting the
required CLAs, Grants and knocking on infrastructure's door?  I'll kick
off  the process.

Thanks guys,
Alex

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

RE: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy,

> I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
> contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.

Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the existing code
base.

Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin Incubation
of the project?

	--- Noel

RE: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:51 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> AFAIK, Copyright only applies to the RIGHT to COPY. Not the RIGHT to
> CREATE,
> or right to implement.

It applies to all of those things listed in the quote from the
Apache license that I sent:

    to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
    display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
    Work and such Derivative Works

which of course is why I included that explicitly in our license.

> Now, we are first and foremost looking at a scenario, where WE look at
> the
> specification, READ it, and MAKE something else that behaves as what
> the
> Specification describes. Where is the COPY in question?
> We won't copy the material provided, i.e. the specification document.
> Nothing
> to copy, hence no Copyrights applies.

I don't believe that is true of the suggested code donation.
In any case, if you have the specification in front of you and
you read it while typing its contents into your code, that is copying.

> The only piece that are up for debate is the Java interfaces and other
> standard classes which are required to fulfill the Specification. To
> me, this
> sounds similar to the Sun restrictions on redistribution of certain
> Java
> platform extensions, that Geronimo re-implements as a convenience for
> the
> developers and edge-users. Does Geronimo have "prior written
> authorization of
> Sun and its licensors" for each of the APIs re-implemented, as the
> Specification Copyright notice states? (template from "JavaMail API
> Design
> Specification")

Yes, Sun's copyright notice explicitly grants those rights to
anyone who develops an independent implementation and passes the
official TCK, as well as additional rights to implement experiments,
both of which have been used by Geronimo.  Negotiating those rights
has been 99% of our Apache activity within the JCP.
Likewise, the JSPA and the specification license contains a specific
licenses to any patents owned by the EG that are necessarily
infringed by implementations, such that we don't get screwed by
submarine patents.

In contrast, the OSGi statement contains no license and explicitly
says that the alliance companies may sue us for implementing it.
Furthermore, the members agreement only supplies OSGi the right to
sublicense to the alliance members, and thus just having OSGi
agree to redistribution is not enough.

Does that make the problem clear?

> I agree that this is not "friendly". But I am not arguing about the
> Membership
> agreement at all. It is not ASF's concern, as it is not a member and
> have not
> agree to any of that. That is something between the owner of any
> "imported"
> codebases (such as Oscar) and the OSGi Alliance and the other members.
> I am
> willing to start an implementation from scratch if that is necessary.
> So if
> that is the your concern, Justin, then please spell that out and not
> put
> everything into one basket and a categorical "Every member must sign
> the
> ICLA.".

I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.

> Honestly, looking at your responses for TSIK and this OSGi proposal, I
> am
> getting mixed signals. On one side; "Don't search for problems. Let
> them come
> to us, and we react on it." On the other; "If we look into the
> membership
> agreement, that one or more individuals has with the organization that
> publishes the specification, then it is *possible* that there are
> parts of
> that specification that are not free of patent claims."
>
> Why is OSGi's approach different from OASIS??

The OASIS WSS approach consists of a group of companies that have
publicly stated they will provide patent licenses *if* anything
in their specs turn out to be covered by their patents.  The license
specifically says

    1. Each Author grants permission to OASIS and OASIS members the
    right to copy, display, perform, modify and distribute the
    Web Services Security ("WS-Security") draft specification and to
    authorize others to do the foregoing, in any medium without fee
    or royalty, for the purpose of further developing the WS-Security
    specification in the WSSTC as set forth in the draft WSS TC charter.

and in particular "authorize others to do the foregoing".  That is
a copyright license.  It goes on to say:

    2. Each Author commits to grant a non sub-licenseable,
    non-transferable license to third parties, under royalty-free
    and other reasonable and non-discriminatory terms and conditions,
    to certain of their respective patent claims that such Author
    deems necessary to implement required portokions of the
    WS-Security specification, provided a reciprocal license is
    granted.

which *might* be an issue *if* any of those authors did have a
necessary patent claim *and* refused to give royalty-free terms.
As far as we have been able to determine, they have no such patents
and thus we cannot possibly infringe them, nor would we be subject
to penalties if they did have patents because we asked them and
they did not say "stop".

In contrast, the OSGi approach does not grant us permission to do
anything and explicitly states that others (including members)
may sue us for infringement.  We have no permission to implement
under the OSGi "approach".  Therefore, we need to obtain permission,
and our standard form for doing so is the CLA.

....Roy

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 18:36, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Under international copyright law,
> recipients must gain permission from the copyright owner in order
> to redistribute or create derivative works.

You are probably better accustomed to international law than I am. IANAL. But,
[...]

AND the notice in the JavaMail Specification is more explicit about
prohibiting its use, than the corresponding disclaimers of the OSGi
specification;
<quote src="JavaMail API Design Specification">
This product or documentation is protected by copyright and distributed under
licenses restricting its use, copying, distribution, and decompilation.
</quote>

> The OSGi membership
> agreement, included below, explicitly states that the MEMBERS
> retain ownership on what they do and OSGi is only given the right
> to license their employee's work and to sublicense any combined work
> to other MEMBERS.

I agree that this is not "friendly". But I am not arguing about the Membership
agreement at all. It is not ASF's concern, as it is not a member and have not
agree to any of that. That is something between the owner of any "imported"
codebases (such as Oscar) and the OSGi Alliance and the other members. I am
willing to start an implementation from scratch if that is necessary. So if
that is the your concern, Justin, then please spell that out and not put
everything into one basket and a categorical "Every member must sign the
ICLA.".

Honestly, looking at your responses for TSIK and this OSGi proposal, I am
getting mixed signals. On one side; "Don't search for problems. Let them come
to us, and we react on it." On the other; "If we look into the membership
agreement, that one or more individuals has with the organization that
publishes the specification, then it is *possible* that there are parts of
that specification that are not free of patent claims."

Why is OSGi's approach different from OASIS??

Now at the end, I see Enrique has additional good answers, and I hope those
are enough to satisfy Justin's concerns. Feel free to ignore the above ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Yes, that is why I asked Roy to make a distinction between
> the Specification and any donation of implementation.

I cannot visualize how ANY software standard can effectively be open unless
its specification is available to everyone under an open source license. By
the time the specification is published by someone like IETF or OASIS, it
has often lost the identity of its contributors and there is no Apache CLA
that would directly apply to it.

Of course, if someone contributed to Apache an implementation of a
specification, that contribution would presumably be covered by a CLA.

The reason we need an open source license is that organizations like Apache
and their customers are likely to copy materials from a specification in
order to implement the specification. Furthermore some specification owners
might argue (Sun does, for example, or at least they used to) that
implementations of a specification are derivative works of that
specification (even though specific code snippets aren't copied or aren't
copyrightable).

So if Apache intends to implement a specification for an industry standard,
it would be wise to ask if that specification is available under an open
source license.

I leave for another thread the issues about patent licenses for those
software standards.

/Larry Rosen

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
> I think I would get it from the Specification itself, "Legal Terms and
> Conditions regarding the Specification";

Niclas, I may be wrong, so fix me, if required. But my impression is,
that those terms apply to the *specification* and not to any *software
implementing the specification*, and you seem to understand the
latter.

Jochen

--
What are the first steps on the moon, compared to your child's?

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
>>>  Like the RFC process the specifications are crafted by a closed
>>> group.  However anyone can implement these specifications.
>>
>> I don't see how you came to that conclusion.
>
> I think I would get it from the Specification itself, "Legal Terms and
> Conditions regarding the Specification";

That's impossible.  Here are example copyright licenses:

BSD:

    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
    without modification, are permitted provided that the following
    conditions are met:

Apache:

    Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each
    Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide,
    non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright
    license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
    display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
    Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

GPL:

    You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
    source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that
    you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an
    appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep
    intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
    absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the
    Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

Do you see anything even remotely like the above phrases in the
below license to the OSGi specification?

    Thank you for your request. The download of OSGi specifications
    and specification files are covered by Legal Terms and Conditions
    as appended below. Please read these Terms and Conditions.
    If you choose to download the OSGi specifications and
    specification files you are agreeing to these Legal Terms and
    Conditions. To download the OSGi specification, please read the
    following Licensing Agreement and then click the link below and
    proceed to the download page.

    LEGAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS REGARDING SPECIFICATION

    Implementation of certain elements of the Open Services Gateway
    Initiative (OSGi)Specification may be subject to third party
    intellectual property rights, including without limitation,
    patent rights (such a third party may or may not be a member
    of OSGi). OSGi is not responsible and shall not be held
    responsible in any manner for identifying or failing to identify
    any or all such third party intellectual property rights.

    THE RECIPIENT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE SPECIFICATION
    IS PROVIDED AS IS AND WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER
    EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO
    ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS OF
    ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY WARRANTY OTHERWISE ARISING OUT
    OF ANY PROPOSAL, SPECIFICATION, OR SAMPLE. THE RECIPIENT'S USE
    OF THE SPECIFICATION IS SOLELY AT THE RECIPIENT'S OWN RISK.
    THE RECIPIENT'S USE OF THE SPECIFICATION IS SUBJECT TO THE
    RECIPIENT'S OSGi MEMBER AGREEMENT, IN THE EVENT THAT THE
    RECIPIENT IS AN OSGi MEMBER. IN NO EVENT SHALL OSGi BE LIABLE
    OR OBLIGATED TO THE RECIPIENT OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY MANNER
    FOR ANY SPECIAL, NON-COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL, STATUTORY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING,
    WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS AND LOST REVENUE, REGARDLESS OF
    THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE,
    STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF OSGi HAS
    BEEN INFORMED OF OR IS AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH
    DAMAGES IN ADVANCE. THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE SHALL BE
    DEEMED TO APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE
    LAW AND NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF THE ESSENTIAL PURPOSE
    OF ANY LIMITED REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO THE RECIPIENT.
    THE RECIPIENT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE RECIPIENT
    HAS FULLY CONSIDERED THE FOREGOING ALLOCATION OF RISK AND
    FINDS IT REASONABLE, AND THAT THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS ARE
    AN ESSENTIAL BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE RECIPIENT AND OSGi.
    IF THE RECIPIENT USES THE SPECIFICATION, THE RECIPIENT AGREES
    TO ALL OF THE FOREGOING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF THE RECIPIENT
    DOES NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THE RECIPIENT
    SHOULD NOT USE THE SPECIFICATION AND SHOULD CONTACT OSGi
    IMMEDIATELY.

I don't see any license there.  Under international copyright law,
recipients must gain permission from the copyright owner in order
to redistribute or create derivative works.  The OSGi membership
agreement, included below, explicitly states that the MEMBERS
retain ownership on what they do and OSGi is only given the right
to license their employee's work and to sublicense any combined work
to other MEMBERS.  Thus, my interpretation is that OSGi does not
have sufficient rights in combined works to simply license them on
their own to the ASF.

Therefore, according to OSGi documentation, we need a separate
CLA from every significant contributor to the code base before
we can distribute that code at Apache.

....Roy

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
moving discussion to oscar-dev and legal-discuss

....Roy

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 02:45, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> OSGi specifications are free to implement.
>
> >  Like the RFC process the specifications are crafted by a closed
> > group.  However anyone can implement these specifications.
>
> I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

I think I would get it from the Specification itself, "Legal Terms and
Conditions regarding the Specification";

<quote>
The recipient acknowledges and agrees that the specification is provided "as
is" and with no warranties whatsoever, whether express, implied or statutory,
including but not limited to any warranty of merchantability,
noninfringement, fitness of any particular purpose, or any warranty otherwise
arising out of any proposal, specification or sample. The recipients use of
the specification is subject to the recipients OSGi member agreement, in the
event that the recipient is an OSGi member.
</quote>

Ok, so it is a disclaimer. What does it say?

 * "as is", you decide what can be done with it *
 * we warrant nothing. *

BSD style.

 * If you are member, you have addtional obligations *

ASF is not.

So that part, I would say is not an issue here.

The first paragraph says;
<quote>
Implementation of certain elements of the Open Services Gateway
Initiative[sic!] (OSGi) Specification may be subject to third party
intellectual property rights, including without limitation, patent rights (
such a third party may or may not be a member of OSGi). OSGi is not
responsible and shall not be held responsible in any manner for identifying
or failing to identify any or all such third party intellectual property
rights.
</quote>

Another disclaimer. What does it say;

 * OSGi is not tracking patents, and that the Spec may infringe. *

Is that much different from ASF?? Yes, OSGi doesn't claim here that the
non-avoidable parts of the spec is free from Patents. ASF Contributors make
that guarantee and it is transferable downstream.

Is that much different from OASIS? IMHO, No, it is exactly the same thing, and
Roy told us NOT to go searching for patent rights, or reasons for not doing
something, as late as last Friday.

So, where does that leave us.
Richard Hall (others?) is/are member(s) of the OSGi Alliance and covered by
the Member agreement, and may or may not be allowed to contribute to the ASF
under the ICLA.
For all non-members, the Member Agreement shall be ignored and contributions
towards the implementation executed just like any other project.
Richard Hall (others?) need to review his own position of whether or not he
can sign off the ICLA and contribute Oscar into the ASF. Considering the OSS
licensing of Oscar today, I assume that he has done so already, and clarified
any subtleties with the OSGi Alliance before.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
>> Does it make sense to have our own copy?  I figure we'll want to make
>> them work in our build process(es).
>
> I think we should have our own copies, because we will most likely want
> to break them up and distribute them piecemeal any way. For example, we
> don't want to include the entire osgi.jar file with the framework,
> because most of the service definitions are not necessary. Likewise,
> service implementations will likely only want to include their specific
> service interfaces, not everything else. Having them in our repository
> makes this stuff pretty easy just by selecting what you want to JAR up.

Richard,

I added this as issue OSCAR-1 in JIRA and assigned it to myself.

Alex is troubleshooting JIRA notifications to this list.

Enrique

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>Many people want to see Oscar thrive and succeed. The fact that Richard
>recognizes the fragility of his own position, should give him all possible
>kudos.

Yes, this is very much the case. I would like people to have my back on
implementing the core. I love to do it, but I cannot be solely
responsible all the time. I am an academic researcher, I actually need
to do research occasionally. :-)

>Richard is here to learn the Apache Way and make himself redundant in the
>longer-term :o)  which is good for everyone involved. Several people at ASF
>is interested in becoming more involved in OSGi core development, learn the
>internal tricks and be part of the OSGi specification process. We can all do
>that by "leaving" ASF and join Richard, or he (and others) can join this
>large and joyful gang on well-proven grounds.

That is essentially my view too. If starting an Apache OSGi project
brings more people into the OSGi fold, then it seems like a good thing
to me.

>Also important note to remember in respect to contributions;
>Richard mentioned that we are talking Oscar Core, and not the various bundles
>that has been contributed via the Oscar Bundle Repository. Also, we are
>talking about Oscar 2.0 which "doesn't really exist", at least not in terms
>of OSGi specification, since the R4 spec is not out yet. So, theoretically we
>can't work on the codebase, since there is no specification to implement, or
>be more precise, only Richard can work on it and not show it publicly. IMHO,
>this is also an issue that we need to address to some extent. What can and
>can not be done?

Actually, that is partially correct. It is definitely true that non-OSGi
members cannot read the R4 spec at this point, since it is not released.
Thus, it would be difficult for anyone except members to implement R4
features (but this is probably true of many spec processes). Oscar 2.0
source, however, is publicly available; I just don't claim that it is
compatible with anything, it is just part of my experimentation with how
to extend R3.

>For the sake of perfection; Let's seek explicit grants from the individuals in
>question. After all, if you are willing to hand out a chunk of code over
>mail, the Apache ICLA shouldn't be much of a problem.

It certainly wouldn't be an issue if necessary, since there are probably
only about three people that would qualify.

>We will also need to see what comes out of the OSGi Alliance in respect to the
>R4 specification and licensing terms for independent implementations in
>general and ASF/ALv2 in particular.
>
>Further down the road I envision ASF, possibly together with Eclipse
>Foundation, stepping up to the OSGi Alliance, and "help them" become more
>OpenSource friendly, as these two implementations will probably take a lion's
>share of "the market". But this is way down the road.

I think this is happening slowly already.

-> richard

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Karl Pauls wrote:

>>>Also important note to remember in respect to contributions;
>>>Richard mentioned that we are talking Oscar Core, and not the various bundles
>>>that has been contributed via the Oscar Bundle Repository. Also, we are
>>>talking about Oscar 2.0 which "doesn't really exist",
>>>

>>Exactly! This is a point that was never made but glad you caught on to
>>it.  Oscar 2.0 source is not at ObjectWeb!
>>

>It is from the alpha page (and for some time too):
>
>http://oscar.objectweb.org/oscar-alpha.html
>
>The direct link to all of the current alpha (including the source):
>
>http://oscar.objectweb.org/noscar.tar.gz

Yes, this is correct. I have made alpha snapshots available.

Alex was probably confused on this, since I mentioned that it wasn't
released on OW, but what I should have said is that there was "no
official" release of it on OW. My mistake.

I started Oscar 2.0 earlier this year as part of my experimentation for
ideas for OSGi R4.

-> richard

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> >Also important note to remember in respect to contributions;
> >Richard mentioned that we are talking Oscar Core, and not the various bundles
> >that has been contributed via the Oscar Bundle Repository. Also, we are
> >talking about Oscar 2.0 which "doesn't really exist",
> >
> Exactly! This is a point that was never made but glad you caught on to
> it.  Oscar 2.0 source is not at ObjectWeb!

It is from the alpha page (and for some time too):

http://oscar.objectweb.org/oscar-alpha.html

The direct link to all of the current alpha (including the source):

http://oscar.objectweb.org/noscar.tar.gz

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
pauls@inf.fu-berlin.de

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Tuesday 26 July 2005 01:47, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>Roy, are you hinting that Incubation has not started, and may be turned down?
>Or is it talks towards graduation?
>

>>There is no doubt about it, if I stop working on
>>Oscar, it will die.
>>

>Many people want to see Oscar thrive and succeed. The fact that Richard
>recognizes the fragility of his own position, should give him all possible
>kudos.

+1 ... is this not enough ...

Richard is in search of the very fabric that makes Apache what it is:
community.

>We can detect movement towards OSGi within the ASF from Cocoon, Directory, and
>possibly Maven. I suspect a few other projects are discussing the possibility
>too, especially if Oscar becomes a reality at the ASF.

Yes this is a momentus move that could unify java projects across the
board and make Apache a contender once again within the container space
after the Avalon debacle.

>Richard is here to learn the Apache Way and make himself redundant in the
>longer-term :o)  which is good for everyone involved. Several people at ASF
>is interested in becoming more involved in OSGi core development, learn the
>internal tricks and be part of the OSGi specification process. We can all do
>that by "leaving" ASF and join Richard, or he (and others) can join this
>large and joyful gang on well-proven grounds.
>
>This is Incubation, if it doesn't work out the project can be terminated and
>continue elsewhere.

Very good points Niclas.

>Also important note to remember in respect to contributions;
>Richard mentioned that we are talking Oscar Core, and not the various bundles
>that has been contributed via the Oscar Bundle Repository. Also, we are
>talking about Oscar 2.0 which "doesn't really exist",

Exactly! This is a point that was never made but glad you caught on to
it.  Oscar 2.0 source is not at ObjectWeb!

... snip ...

>Further down the road I envision ASF, possibly together with Eclipse
>Foundation, stepping up to the OSGi Alliance, and "help them" become more
>OpenSource friendly, as these two implementations will probably take a lion's
>share of "the market". But this is way down the road.

That's what we're all thinking.

Alex

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> We can change the name.  This is strictly and OSGi container effort
> here at the ASF where several people from Apache and elsewhere intend
> to contribute.   It will not only be Richard.   Those from KnoplerFish
> are also interested, maven, plexus, and Geronimo people like Alan have
> an interest in contributing.  Oscar is just a name we picked.

The short answer to all of this is:

I agreed to join an Apache OSGi effort because I felt that the current
situation with Oscar was an uphill battle (me against Eclipse, KF
[Gatespace], JSR 277, etc.). In my view, something had to change to make
it so that I could continue to be involved with OSGi and open source,
but still be able to focus on other things.

Plain and simple, I want and need things to change. This is my choice.

Would I prefer to keep my project name? Of course, I think keeping the
name provides the best continuity and also it was my baby long before
anyone else even cared to claim it as their own. However, if a name
change is going to avoid a power struggle, then it is fine by me to
change the name. In the end, the facts are still the same.

-> richard

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> If the name stays as Oscar, then it is obviously a move.

We can change the name.  This is strictly and OSGi container effort here
at the ASF where several people from Apache and elsewhere intend to
contribute.   It will not only be Richard.   Those from KnoplerFish are
also interested, maven, plexus, and Geronimo people like Alan have an
interest in contributing.  Oscar is just a name we picked.

Secondly its not a move because the Oscar 2.0 source is not open
anywhere.  Meaning from my understanding Richard has not committed the
code to ObjectWeb.  Oscar 1.0 is at ObjectWeb.

>> If Alex had used any of the existing project proposals as a guide,
>>
>>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
>>    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html
>>
>> then our requirements for accepting new projects would have been
>> clearer from the start.
>

> I am sorry, I don't know about that. I thought we did start with the
> Harmony project proposal as a guide.

Yes we used the Harmony project as a starting template.

Alex

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> The problem here is that ObjectWeb is a non-profit organization that
>> hosts a large number of project, a bit like the ASF. It's not like an
>> independent group (log4j, spamassasin, ibatis, etc) with a single
>> project that moves to the ASF for the community and legal oversight
>> it provides.
>

> You can also say that "SourceForge is a non-profit organization that
> hosts a large number of projects" and that "Oscar is an independent
> group with a single project that moves to the ASF for the community and
> legal oversight it provides."  In the close to 1 year that I've been
> working with Oscar, I never got the impression that the Oscar-ObjectWeb
> relationship was anything more than infrastructure.

Hmm... comparing ObjectWeb and SourceForge isn't really fair!

Note that I'm in no way affiliated to ObjectWeb, but I happen to know a
few people there and they raised some issues when I mentioned the new
Oscar ASF project on my blog (see comments in [1]) and during private
discussions.

Now if they really have a problem with what's happening, it's up to them
to react. So let's move on!

Sylvain

[1] http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000204.html

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:29 -0400, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The problem here is that ObjectWeb is a non-profit organization that
> > hosts a large number of project, a bit like the ASF. It's not like an
> > independent group (log4j, spamassasin, ibatis, etc) with a single
> > project that moves to the ASF for the community and legal oversight it
> > provides.
> >
> > So they feel like being robbed. That's the whole point.
>
> Do they?
>
> I spoke with Alex and my impression is that ObjectWeb is okay with the
> transition.  If that is the case, then let's stick with 'Oscar'.

If the transition is amicable then I believe Richard's wish for
continuity should be respected for the sake of existing users and so
keep the name Oscar.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

 -- Unknown

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

>On 7/27/05, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>The problem here is that ObjectWeb is a non-profit organization that
>>hosts a large number of project, a bit like the ASF. It's not like an
>>independent group (log4j, spamassasin, ibatis, etc) with a single
>>project that moves to the ASF for the community and legal oversight it
>>provides.
>>
>>So they feel like being robbed. That's the whole point.
>>

>Do they?
>
>I spoke with Alex and my impression is that ObjectWeb is okay with the
>transition.  If that is the case, then let's stick with 'Oscar'.

I guess that depends on with whom you talk.

While everything happened quickly, it was definitely my desire to not
create an issue, which was a concern of mine from the beginning. I like
all of my colleagues at ObjectWeb and plan to continue to be involved in
the community.

-> richard

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 02:04, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 26 juil. 05, à 17:52, Richard S. Hall a écrit :
> > ...In the end, I think it serves people less to have a new project
> > with unclear history and a dead project called Oscar, than to just
> > have a single project called Oscar....
>
> Agreed, saying "Oscar 1 was hosted at ObjectWeb and newer releases are
> hosted at the ASF" is clear enough IMHO.

Hasn't there been similar transfers in the past. IIRC, Log4J was Log4J long
time before it got to ASF.

I am in favour of keeping Oscar as a name;
 * Continuum
 * Short and easy to pronounce.
 * Acronym-friendly ;o)

Will the Academy Awards be an issue?? They are in "entertainment", so I think
not...IANAL.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>> If that's the case, then a name change as Alex suggested may be in
>> order.  It will avoid this type of confusion.
>>

> But, from my perspective, it will just create another source of
> confusion, which is for the user community of Oscar and OSGi
> frameworks in general. I am more concerned with the users than the
> politics. In the end, I think it serves people less to have a new
> project with unclear history and a dead project called Oscar, than to
> just have a single project called Oscar.
>
> Regardless, we can change the name if that is the consensus.

I'm fine with the name.  I just don't want to deal with the politics.
If the amount of energy required to keep the name is overwhelming for
this community then I understand changing the name.  I think Richard is
right about maintaining continuity.  The Oscar name is the best way to
go.   Let's just leave it at that.

Alex

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>> If that's the case, then a name change as Alex suggested may be in
>> order.  It will avoid this type of confusion.
>>

> But, from my perspective, it will just create another source of
> confusion, which is for the user community of Oscar and OSGi
> frameworks in general. I am more concerned with the users than the
> politics. In the end, I think it serves people less to have a new
> project with unclear history and a dead project called Oscar, than to
> just have a single project called Oscar.
>
> Regardless, we can change the name if that is the consensus.

I'm fine with the name.  I just don't want to deal with the politics.
If the amount of enery required to keep the name is overwhelming for

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 26 juil. 05, à 17:52, Richard S. Hall a écrit :
> ...In the end, I think it serves people less to have a new project
> with unclear history and a dead project called Oscar, than to just
> have a single project called Oscar....

Agreed, saying "Oscar 1 was hosted at ObjectWeb and newer releases are
hosted at the ASF" is clear enough IMHO.

Still, having some kind of official statement from ObjectWeb,
indicating that they are ok with the move, would help avoid any
misunderstandings. Maybe a statement could be added to the project
proposal if that's allowed by the incubator rules?

-Bertrand

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Timur Mehrvarz <ti...@web.de>.
On 26. Jul 2005, at 17:52, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>> If that's the case, then a name change as Alex suggested may be in
>> order.  It will avoid this type of confusion.
>>

> But, from my perspective, it will just create another source of
> confusion, which is for the user community of Oscar and OSGi
> frameworks in general. I am more concerned with the users than the
> politics. In the end, I think it serves people less to have a new
> project with unclear history and a dead project called Oscar, than
> to just have a single project called Oscar.

I agree with this.

People have gotten comfortable with Oscar. They know Oscar is good
stuff. It would not be very smart to change the project name.

Timur

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/05, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I wouldn't use the word "abandoning", since my plan was to support
> > Oscar 1.0.x for the time being and I still plan to be involved in the
> > ObjectWeb community.
> >
> > Otherwise, yes, I said that I would be interested in participating in
> > an Apache OSGi project and that I could donate my code to seed the
> > project.
>
> Ditto.  The choice of words although subtle make a big difference here.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/05, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> > The more sponsoring members the better.  Looks like you have already
> > been added to the proposal.
>
> Then please add me too :-)

One more "me too!"  I'm very interested in an OSGi project here in the ASF.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>>

>>> The more sponsoring members the better.  Looks like you have already
>>> been added to the proposal.
>>

>> Then please add me too :-)
>

> Could you provide your full name?

That is his full name. He is already a Cocoon committer so adding him
should be easy.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:

>>> Then please add me too :-)
>>

>> Could you provide your full name?
>

> Upayavira is my full name :-)
>
> It is my Buddhist name, and is the name I use with all Apache
> dealings. You'll see me in members.txt.

Sorry Upayavira excuse my Western bias here.  I presumed you had a
lastname.  Will not happen again.  I added you to the proposal here:

https://svn.safehaus.org/repos/sandbox/proposals/osgi

Incidentally I should move the proposal into the repository at the top
level.  Let me do that now.  This way anyone with commit rights can
update it.  This is where it belongs anyway.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>> The more sponsoring members the better.  Looks like you have already
>>> been added to the proposal.
>>

>> Then please add me too :-)
>

> Could you provide your full name?

Upayavira is my full name :-)

It is my Buddhist name, and is the name I use with all Apache dealings.
You'll see me in members.txt.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 25 juil. 05, à 19:47, Richard S. Hall a écrit :
>>
>>> ...My discussion with various Apache people led to my understanding
>>> that there was interest in starting an Apache OSGi project. I agreed
>>> to participate....
>>

>> And there is indeed a *lot* of interest. The Cocoon team is looking at
>> OSGI very seriously, we have implemented some OSGI-based stuff
>> already, and for us the timing couldn't be better for an OSGI
>> implementation to come to the ASF, as our main concern was having to
>> depend on an "external" library.
>>
>> Judging from several conversations last week at ApacheCon, I think
>> many of us are very thankful for your decision to continue here the
>> work that you started with Oscar. Some things might need
>> clarification, but I'm sure many people at the ASF are eager to see
>> this moving forward.
>>
>> If having more sponsoring members makes a difference, I'd be happy to
>> be added to the list.
>

> The more sponsoring members the better.  Looks like you have already
> been added to the proposal.

Then please add me too :-)

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> However, Apache is about healthy developer communities, and as Niclas
> said, you will have to make yourself redundant by accepting new core
> developers and helping them to become fluent with the internals of
> your baby so that it becomes their baby too.
>
> I'm stating this to be sure that you're well aware of this. Apache is
> not a better place for you to work. It's a place where a healthy and
> diverse developer community will have to emerge for a project to exit
> incubation.

My goal is to become less necessary. Ultimately, as an academic
researcher, I have to do more than just implement a spec.

However, I will always care about the direction that it takes. My main
focuses with Oscar have always been to keep it simple and very easy to
use, but at the same time use it as a platform to find the best approach
for creating such a platform and possibly influencing the future
directions of the spec or other such platforms. These issues are key
parts of the Oscar philosophy.

I am not content to merely implement the spec. :-)

The fantasy situation is that the project gains contributors for all of
the pieces that I don't want to implement and I retain the fun parts
that I love to implement. Of course, I realize that this won't be the
case. :-)

-> richard

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Bertand,
>
> Thank you for your support (of me and the project).
>
> My goals have always been to do good work and to get OSGi and the work
> I do around it in front of as many people as possible.
>
> My work with OSGi started in December of 2000 while I was an assistant
> professor in Berlin; back then very few people cared about what I was
> doing...except long-time user Rob Walker. :-)
>
> Back in the early days I was just releasing Oscar on my own web page,
> but eventually moved Source Forge in July 2001. I ended up moving to
> France to continue my work on Oscar and around OSGi and ended up
> moving Oscar to ObjectWeb in February of 2004. I had moved home from
> France last year and for most of the past year I funded my work on
> Oscar and in the OSGi Alliance out of my personal savings. Now I am
> back working half time in France, so I am back to only partially
> funding my work. :-) I really care about this stuff.
>
> I am excited by the possibility of getting a chance to keep the
> momentum moving forward. The interest expressed by the Apache
> community since the announcement of the project has been practically
> overwhelming, let alone the Oscar community and OSGi community at large.

Nice intro that shows how you are committed to OSGi and Oscar (and BTW
I'm in France too).

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Bertand,

[...]

Thanks again.

-> richard

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> If the name stays as Oscar, then it is obviously a move.

Certainly one way to look at. Another is reuse. :-)

My main concern was continuity for existing users if the source code is
seeded with Oscar code. There is no doubt about it, if I stop working on
Oscar, it will die. For example, earlier this morning I was just
renaming the packages so that Oscar is no longer a package name...does
this still constitute a move? It is hard to say.

My discussion with various Apache people led to my understanding that
there was interest in starting an Apache OSGi project. I agreed to
participate. Since I am Oscar, if I move to a new Apache OSGi project,
then so does it to a very large degree.

> The website says
>
>    Other contributors
>
>     * Rob Walker from Ascert.
>     * Stephane Frenot from l'INSA de Lyon.
>     * Humberto Cervantes from Universidad Autonoma
> Metropolitana-Iztapalapa.
>     * Didier Donsez from LSR-IMAG.
>     * Stephane Chomat from LSR-IMAG.
>     * Michel D'Hooge from Trialog.
>
> and the changes file at
>
>     http://oscar.objectweb.org/changes.html
>
> includes quite a few additional contributors.  Are you saying that
> none of those people contributed anything significant enough to be
> separately copyrightable as a derivative or new work?  Or are you
> saying that you have a signed document from all significant
> contributors that assigns copyright to you?

Most of the contributions are for bundles, which are not part of the
core. I am not granting bundles. Many of the people listed are
supporters more so than contributors.

If someone pointed out a bug fix or tracked it down a bug in the Oscar
source, I gave them credit. However, all bug fixes were implemented by
me and committed by me. I am the only person with commit rights to
Oscar's code.

There could possibly be one exception to this, which is the code for the
LDAP parser/evaluator which was originally written for me by my former
PhD advisor, Dennis Heimbigner, and has been in Oscar since the
beginning. I know that he has no issues with it.

The only other code that even comes close to a contribution is code
given to me by Erik Wistrand for handling HTTPS, but this is a minor
chunk of code and he actually gave it to me in the context of OBR, which
I just reused it for Oscar, since he told me to use it any way that I
wanted.

So, yes, I am saying that there are no significant contributions by
anyone else other than myself or from people that have granted me
control of the code.

> That simply isn't sufficient justification.  Apache projects can use
> BSD licensed code from anywhere.  BSD-licensed projects only need to
> come to apache.org when the existing home is either unfriendly to
> collaborative development (e.g., preventing new contributors from
> joining in the project) or insufficiently neutral to support the
> potential set of contributors (e.g., requiring a nonprofit foundation
> environment).  There may be other reasons, but those are the ones
> we normally see.

That was my motivation. It, along with a litany of other motivations are
part of the proposal. I think the proposal stands on its own.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Mark Wielaard wrote:
> You might want to coordinate on this with Eclipse.
> They had similar concerns about some OSGi code. See:
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=90052

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for digging the Eclipse thread up.

The EPL'd OSGi source files are in Eclipse' viewcvs at:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.osgi/osgi/src/org/osgi/

I emailed BJ, who's the OSGi CTO and he says:
"Note:  These are not the final R4 files nor are they the complete set.
  But they do have all the files needed to implement an R4 framework. We
are still finalizing R4 so these classes will change but the changes
will be mostly javadoc improvements and the potential addition of new
methods."

Re: ability to extend oscar beyond osgi spec

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Jul 21, 2005, at 6:23 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> I don't thing changing/extending what's in the org.osgi package a
> desirable thing. What can be done however, is to have our own
> service definitions that do extend the standard one to provide
> additional features. Knopflefish does this for example [1]. In that
> case, you don't modify the specification but provide optional
> additional features to the standard one. And users, by importing a
> implementation-specific package, know that they become dependent on
> this particular implementation.

Ah, perfect.

That's exactly the scenario I was thinking of, and just wanted to
make sure the OSGi spec didn't disallow it.
-pete

--
peter royal

Re: ability to extend oscar beyond osgi spec

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

http://www.knopflerfish.org/releases/1.3.3/javadoc/org/knopflerfish/service/log/LogService.html

ability to extend oscar beyond osgi spec

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Wielaard <ma...@klomp.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 11:45 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > The license to review is the one in  the specification  documentation,
> > which in essence says nothing other than the fact that you are NOT
> > indemnified against IP claims, which is standard CYA by the OSGi
> > Alliance.
>
> It says nothing.  It doesn't even provide a license to copy or make
> derivative work.  There is zero license there, only a disclaimer.

You might want to coordinate on this with Eclipse.
They had similar concerns about some OSGi code. See:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=90052

One of the comments in that bugs says:

        To be specific, OSGi now makes a clear distinction between the
        specification PDF document ("specification") and the java source
        files which contain the OSGi API typed in from the specification
        ("companion code").

        OSGi does not consider the companion code to be the
        specification and thus has agreed to license the companion code
        under EPL. The specification itself is available under a new
        specification license which freely allows distribution and
        implementation of the specification, but all rights to modify
        the specification are retained by OSGi. This is to prevent
        forking the specification.

Hope that helps. The bug also has email addresses of some contact people
if you need them for more clarifications. I am not sure if the current
license on the osgi website is already this new license this comment
talks about, or if they still have to update the site to clarify this.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> The OSGi community appears, from their own materials, to be a
>> closed-circle consortium with a RAND-based cross-licensing
>> agreement to members, in which OSGi's ability to license invented
>> materials is limited to licenses to other members.
>>
>> Could you please explain how OSGi intends to comply with the
>> Apache contributor license agreement at
>>
>>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>>
>> Will all of the OSGi members be signing that agreement, or at
>> least those with IP claims on the code/specifications?
>>
> As usual Roy some very good questions.  At this point (need to
> research this further) we realize OSGi is a closed Alliance.  However
> note that our goal is not to become a member of OSGi but rather to
> implement a specification.  OSGi specifications are free to implement.
>  Like the RFC process the specifications are crafted by a closed
> group.  However anyone can implement these specifications.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

> The license to review is the one in  the specification  documentation,
> which in essence says nothing other than the fact that you are NOT
> indemnified against IP claims, which is standard CYA by the OSGi
> Alliance.

It says nothing.  It doesn't even provide a license to copy or make
derivative work.  There is zero license there, only a disclaimer.

> The OSGi Alliance makes member companies declare up front any IP
> claims, and none of them have.  Leaving the specification license as a
> CYA.   Also please note that Oscar and KnoplerFish are OSS
> implementations of that specification that have been around for 5
> years now.  This suggests there are no IP restrictions on implementing
> the specification.

No, it doesn't suggest anything of the sort.  That's like saying
that it is legal in California to drive 90 miles per hour just
because you saw a police car drive that fast.

>   Also note Roy that our intention is to unify the Oscar and
> KnoplerFish communities with a single effort at the ASF.  These
> communities already exist with existing code bases.  Our mission is to
> bring this all together in one place.

Great, no problem there.  However, please be aware that this project
will not leave incubation until every single contributor of IP has
executed a CLA with the ASF, just like every other incubated project.

Unlike the others, you have a screwball situation here because the
OSGi member agreement does not allow OSGi to license the technology
to non-members.  The only rights that OSGi can license to the ASF is
to technology that their own employees created alone.  They will
have to get permission from the members involved in creating the
rest of the technology in order to for us to redistribute it.

....Roy

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> The OSGi community at large, several Apache committers and members
>> would like to start a new project based on the existing Oscar OSGi
>> Container which Richard Hall is graciously willing to donate.
>

> The OSGi community appears, from their own materials, to be a
> closed-circle consortium with a RAND-based cross-licensing
> agreement to members, in which OSGi's ability to license invented
> materials is limited to licenses to other members.
>
> Could you please explain how OSGi intends to comply with the
> Apache contributor license agreement at
>
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>
> Will all of the OSGi members be signing that agreement, or at
> least those with IP claims on the code/specifications?

As usual Roy some very good questions.  At this point (need to research
this further) we realize OSGi is a closed Alliance.  However note that
our goal is not to become a member of OSGi but rather to implement a
specification.  OSGi specifications are free to implement.  Like the RFC
process the specifications are crafted by a closed group.  However
anyone can implement these specifications.

The license to review is the one in  the specification  documentation,
which in essence says nothing other than the fact that you are NOT
indemnified against IP claims, which is standard CYA by the OSGi
Alliance.  The OSGi Alliance makes member companies declare up front any
IP claims, and none of them have.  Leaving the specification license as
a CYA.   Also please note that Oscar and KnoplerFish are OSS
implementations of that specification that have been around for 5 years
now.  This suggests there are no IP restrictions on implementing the
specification.  Also note Roy that our intention is to unify the Oscar
and KnoplerFish communities with a single effort at the ASF.  These
communities already exist with existing code bases.  Our mission is to
bring this all together in one place.

Regards,
Alex

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 10:07, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>>Here's my +1
>

> My non-binding, big +1 as well.

and here another non-binding +1

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 15 July 2005 10:07, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Here's my +1

My non-binding, big +1 as well.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Here's my +1

-- dims

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Oh btw the turnout for this is so massive we're getting a trickle of
supporters daily and adding them to the document.  Perhaps we can get a
wiki up soon and the dev lists.  For the time being here's the document
in subversion:

https://svn.safehaus.org/repos/sandbox/proposals/osgi/osgi-proposal.txt

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
+1

Please start the incubation process, keeping in mind that all IP issues must
be resolved during incubation.

CLAs and a Software Grant for the existing code base(s) should be filed
ASAP.

	--- Noel