Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com> on 2011/01/20 14:06:26 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Felix FileInstall version 3.1.6

Hi,

We solved 1 issue in this release:

** Bug
     * [FELIX-2791] - NPE in getStartLevel due to race condition

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-057/

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
signatures:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh 057 /tmp/felix-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Felix FileInstall version 3.1.6

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

-> richard

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DICUSS] Release Apache Felix FileInstall version 3.1.6

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I've checked in my changes, so I'll cut a 3.1.8 release tomorrow.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 13:54, Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2011 02:34 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 09:49, Sahoo<sa...@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> wait(0) causes a thread to wait until notified or interrupted, so why
>>> why should any CPU cycles be wasted?
>>>

>> You're right, forget about that.
>>

>>> Secondly, can you also tell me why
>>> you think it is artificial? Can't the instructions be reordered such
>>> that the watcher threads start before initialization is complete?
>>>

>> Everything comes down to the fact that the ConfigAdmin support is
>> started before the other trackers are created and opened IIUC, so on
>> the JIRA issue, I suggested to simply move that part to the end of the
>> initialization, so that no DirectoryWatcher threads can be started
>> before everything is set up.   I think that would solve the problem in
>> a cleaner way.
>>

> We can't rely on program order being same as the execution order in a
> multi-threaded environment, can we? So, an explicit barrier is a much better
> way to guarantee that watcher threads don't run before initialization of
> fileinstall is complete.

In that case, the activator is called and watcher threads are only
created (indirectly) because it registers the ConfigAdmin
ManagedService in the OSGi registry, so until the activator does so,
there is only a single thread running.  It would have been sufficient
to just make sure everything is initialized before starting spawning
threads (by registering the CM support of calling update(xxx)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
wait(0) causes a thread to wait until notified or interrupted, so why
why should any CPU cycles be wasted? Secondly, can you also tell me why

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
+1

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 1/23/11 14:38, Richard S. Hall wrote:
> On 1/23/11 13:21, Sahoo wrote:
>> I am waiting for at least three votes to make the release...
>
> It's generally not a good idea to call a vote over a weekend...

I should have said, if you are expecting to be able to close the vote in
72 hours...remember that 72 hours is the minimum, not the maximum...

I should get to it by tomorrow...

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Felix FileInstall version 3.1.6

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1,