Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1998/03/04 12:40:51 UTC

[mod_perl] Success story (fwd)

FYI,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 21:13:06 -0600
From: Jeff Baker <je...@GODZILLA.TAMU.EDU>
To: MODPERL@LISTPROC.ITRIBE.NET
Subject: Success story

I'd like to share my recent success story.  Over the last four days,
students
living on campus here at Texas A&M University have had to go through
what is
called "contract renewal," where they indicate whether or not they will
continue to live on campus in the coming academic year.  In the past,
this
has all been done very tedioulsy with scantron forms and human-eye error
correction.  This year, the system was moved to the web.  The code was
user-proofed to prevent the usual mistakes, with the addition of some
fancy
authentication and session tracking mechanisms.

The system was originally written using ActiveWare PerlScript on IIS
4.0, but
when I was done, it was glaringly obvious that it was far too slow.  In
only
14 days, we ported the code to Apache and mod_perl, with the same NT
platform
underneath.  The performance (transactions/sec) was more than 60 times
better!!!

The system went online Friday night, and in the course of its 4-day run,
it
served 400,000 documents, the bulk of which were generated on the fly.
Ten
thousand people used the system, and all went without a hitch.

Here's to mod_perl!
Jeffrey

Re: [mod_perl] Success story (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.