Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Oleg <ol...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/22 08:49:35 UTC

Virtual hosts and shared libraries

I got a problem with Tomcat using a huge amount of memory on startup. Of
course I realize that it all depends on how large are the applications.
However, I have lets say two identical machines with Tomcat 5.5 installed.
One Tomcat has 100 virtual hosts running the same application and takes up
400MB of ram after it finished loading, second Tomcat has 300 identical
applications but deployed under localhost and it uses only 200MB of ram
after loading. Can somebody explain me what is the case here? Does it mean
that virtual hosts load all libraries in shared directory for every host
into memory but all application running under localhost, simply load them
once? I am a bit lost, I need to figure something out to cut down on memory
use, any ideas? All users are running same application, application specific
classes are in its own application WEB-INF/classes and all libraries needed
to run the application, like struts and hibernate and so on are in shared.
Thank you.