Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jaydeep Chovatia <Ja...@openwave.com> on 2010/12/12 08:42:33 UTC

Cassandra 0.7 C++ Thrift delete problem

Hi,

I am facing some issues with delete operation in Cassandra-0.7.0 using C++ Thrift API. Please find details here:
C++ Thrift Machine: Linux 64-bit

 1.  I am using remove  thrift API to delete either column or column family. Problem in this is when I call remove then it hangs forever (never returns back). Please find my code details here:

        cassClient->set_keyspace(keySpace);

        ColumnPath clnPath;
        clnPath.column_family = columnFamily;
        if(columnOrSuperColumnName.size() > 0){
            if(isSuperColumn) {
                clnPath.__isset.super_column = true;
                clnPath.super_column = columnOrSuperColumnName;
            } else {
                clnPath.__isset.column = true;
                clnPath.column = columnOrSuperColumnName;
            }
        }
        //DIAGC("mssRME",  1,  "About to run remove...");
        cassClient->remove(key, clnPath, delTimeStamp, consisLevel);
        //DIAGC("mssRME",  1,  "Success! remove...");

 1.  I have tried with batch_mutate thrift API. With this operations goes smoothly but I end up getting deleted column/columnfamily/key back when I perform get operation after delete. Looks like delete operation did not work. Please find sample code here:

        map<string, vector<Column> >::iterator iter = SCNameAndCols.begin(); //SuperColumn name as key - Vector containing columns in each super column
        std::vector<Mutation> mv;
        while(iter != SCNameAndCols.end()) {  //Iterate through each SuperColumn one after another
            SuperColumn sc;
            ColumnOrSuperColumn cs;

            Mutation mu;
`                                           mu.__isset.deletion = true;

                mu.deletion.timestamp = delTimeStamp;  //This is latest timestamp in miliseconds
                mu.deletion.__isset.predicate = true;
                mu.deletion.super_column = (*iter).first;
                mu.deletion.predicate.__isset.column_names = true;
                for(int  i = 0; i < (*iter).second.size(); i++) {
                    mu.deletion.predicate.column_names.push_back((*iter).second[i].name);
            }

            mv.push_back(mu);
            iter++;
        }//End of While loop
        std::map<std::string, std::vector<Mutation> > innMap;
        innMap[CFName] = mv;

        std::map<std::string, std::map<std::string, std::vector<Mutation> > > outMap;
        outMap[Key] = innMap;

        //DIAGC("mssRME",  1,  "About to run batch_mutate...");
        cassClient->batch_mutate(outMap, consisLevel);
        //DIAGC("mssRME",  1,  "Success! batch_mutate...");

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jaydeep

Re: Cassandra 0.7 C++ Thrift delete problem

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@riptano.com>.
I'm not sure why your first one hangs because it looks correct, but it's
possible that you have a timestamp resolution problem for the batch_mutate()
version.  How are you creating the timestamp?  Also, don't forget about
"range ghosts": http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#range_ghosts

- Tyler