Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fredrik Andersson <an...@r2m.se> on 2006/06/16 12:00:42 UTC

Tomcat configuration error

Hi all

Ok so heres the deal. I want my tomcat installation (5.5.17) to load
pages from /var/www/webapps/R2M/SMC

I´m also running a virtual host setup so I edit my server.xml file and
point the appBase for the directory to /var/www/webapps and then I have
the context part of the configuration inside
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/appserve/R2M/SMC.xml in which I point the docBase
variabel to "R2M/SMC"

Now when I point my webbrowser to a jsp file in my directory I recieve a
404 error.. :(

What went wrong in my configuration?

Any tip/help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Tomcat configuration error

Posted by Fredrik Andersson <an...@r2m.se>.
I must be stupid or something because I can´t get this to work :(

Anyway I figured what the hell, and made a symlink pointing from
CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT to /var/www/webapps/R2M/SMC and it now works.
A little cheep solution but it works.

I have absolutley no Idea to why it does not work to configure tomcat
like I want it to.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for your help and patience. Really appriciated =)

Posted by Fredrik Andersson <an...@r2m.se>.
ok, thanks a bunch :)

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Fredrik Andersson wrote:
> ok, the application I want to launch is SMC so where should I place the
> SMC.xml file?
>
> I´m really confused, not because I dont know what I want to do, but there
> are tons of different sources telling me different things and none
> works.. :(
>
> I understand that I must be anoying and it´s really nice of you to help
> me. =)
>
> Den 6/16/2006, skrev "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <de...@hanik.com>:
>

>> R2M.xml? where did that come from? it should be SCM.xml, although the
>> name isn't important.
>>
>> Your original setup was confusing, cause you have RM2/SCM (inside of
>> webapps)
>> so which one is the webapp, RM2 directory, or the SCM directory?
>>
>> They key to your problem though, is probably the <Context path=""...>
>> instead of <Context path="/"...>
>>
>> Filip
>>

>> Fredrik Andersson wrote:
>>
>>> ok, and my R2M.xml configuration file should reside inside of
>>> $CATALINA_HOME/appserver/R2M ? or did I missunderstand you on that part?
>>> Will try it out, thanks a million. Really nice of you taking youre time
>>> explaining this to me :)

>> --
>>

>> Filip Hanik

Filip Hanik

Re: Tomcat configuration error

Posted by Fredrik Andersson <an...@r2m.se>.
ok, the application I want to launch is SMC so where should I place the
SMC.xml file?

I´m really confused, not because I dont know what I want to do, but there
are tons of different sources telling me different things and none
works.. :(

I understand that I must be anoying and it´s really nice of you to help
me. =)

Den 6/16/2006, skrev "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <de...@hanik.com>:

>R2M.xml? where did that come from? it should be SCM.xml, although the
>name isn't important.
>
>Your original setup was confusing, cause you have RM2/SCM (inside of
>webapps)
>so which one is the webapp, RM2 directory, or the SCM directory?
>
>They key to your problem though, is probably the <Context path=""...>
>instead of <Context path="/"...>
>
>Filip
>

>Fredrik Andersson wrote:
>> ok, and my R2M.xml configuration file should reside inside of
>> $CATALINA_HOME/appserver/R2M ? or did I missunderstand you on that part?
>> Will try it out, thanks a million. Really nice of you taking youre time
>> explaining this to me :)
>>
>> Den 6/16/2006, skrev "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <de...@hanik.com>:
>>

>>> the more logical setup would be (assuming the SMC is a webapp)
>>>
>>> <Engine name="appserver"
>>>                        debug="0"
>>>                        defaultHost="R2M">
>>>
>>>                        <Host name="R2M"
>>>                                appBase="/var/www/webapps/RM2"
>>>                                autoDeploy="false"
>>>                                deployOnStartup="false"
>>>                                unpackWARs="false"
>>>                                deployXML="true"
>>>                                debug="0"/>
>>>
>>>                </Engine>
>>>
>>> <Context path=""
>>>        docBase="SMC"
>>>        reloadable="true"
>>>        debug="0"/>
>>>
>>> I changed three things
>>> 1. Host.appBase
>>> 2. Context.path

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Fredrik Andersson wrote:
> ok, and my R2M.xml configuration file should reside inside of
> $CATALINA_HOME/appserver/R2M ? or did I missunderstand you on that part?
> Will try it out, thanks a million. Really nice of you taking youre time
> explaining this to me :)
>
> Den 6/16/2006, skrev "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <de...@hanik.com>:
>

>> the more logical setup would be (assuming the SMC is a webapp)
>>
>> <Engine name="appserver"
>>                        debug="0"
>>                        defaultHost="R2M">
>>
>>                        <Host name="R2M"
>>                                appBase="/var/www/webapps/RM2"
>>                                autoDeploy="false"
>>                                deployOnStartup="false"
>>                                unpackWARs="false"
>>                                deployXML="true"
>>                                debug="0"/>
>>
>>                </Engine>
>>
>> <Context path=""
>>        docBase="SMC"
>>        reloadable="true"
>>        debug="0"/>
>>
>> I changed three things
>> 1. Host.appBase
>> 2. Context.path
>> 3. Context.docBase
>>
>> Filip
>>

>> Fredrik Andersson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, thanks for answering=)
>>> I´m still a little confused so I will try to describe what kind of setup
>>> I want and we will se if it becomes clearer.
>>>
>>> I want my internet files to reside inside of
>>> /var/www/webapps/R2M/SMC
>>>
>>> Now I wan´t apache to forward all pages that are jsp (*.jsp) and all
>>> servlets thats are mapped through ip/servlets/* to tomcat.
>>>
>>> As it is right now I have HelloWorld.html and HelloWorld.jsp inside the
>>> SMC folder and apache finds them both and the .jsp file gets forwarded
>>> to tomcat (it says that tomcat can´t find the file). Now where is tomcat
>>> looking for the files?
>>>
>>> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml (engine part)
>>>  <Engine name="appserver"
>>>                         debug="0"
>>>                         defaultHost="R2M">
>>>
>>>                         <Host name="R2M"
>>>                                 appBase="/var/www/webapps/RM2"
>>>                                 autoDeploy="false"
>>>                                 deployOnStartup="false"
>>>                                 unpackWARs="false"
>>>                                 deployXML="true"
>>>                                 debug="0"/>
>>>
>>>                 </Engine>
>>>
>>> then I read that it was good to seperate the context part into a
>>> different file for every host and I understood that they were supposed
>>> to reside inside of $CATALINA_HOME/conf/<engine
>>> name>/<application_name>.xml
>>>
>>> So I have the file $CATALINA_HOME/appserve/R2M/SMC.xml and it holds
>>> <Context path="/"
>>>         docBase="SMC"
>>>         reloadable="true"
>>>         debug="0"/>
>>>
>>> Did I set this up wrong?

>> --
>>

>> Filip Hanik

Filip Hanik

Re: Tomcat configuration error

Posted by Fredrik Andersson <an...@r2m.se>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Fredrik Andersson wrote:
> Hi, thanks for answering=)
> I´m still a little confused so I will try to describe what kind of setup
> I want and we will se if it becomes clearer.
>
> I want my internet files to reside inside of
> /var/www/webapps/R2M/SMC
>
> Now I wan´t apache to forward all pages that are jsp (*.jsp) and all
> servlets thats are mapped through ip/servlets/* to tomcat.
>
> As it is right now I have HelloWorld.html and HelloWorld.jsp inside the
> SMC folder and apache finds them both and the .jsp file gets forwarded
> to tomcat (it says that tomcat can´t find the file). Now where is tomcat
> looking for the files?
>
> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml (engine part)
>  <Engine name="appserver"
>                         debug="0"
>                         defaultHost="R2M">
>
>                         <Host name="R2M"
>                                 appBase="/var/www/webapps/RM2"
>                                 autoDeploy="false"
>                                 deployOnStartup="false"
>                                 unpackWARs="false"
>                                 deployXML="true"
>                                 debug="0"/>
>
>                 </Engine>
>
> then I read that it was good to seperate the context part into a
> different file for every host and I understood that they were supposed
> to reside inside of $CATALINA_HOME/conf/<engine
> name>/<application_name>.xml
>
> So I have the file $CATALINA_HOME/appserve/R2M/SMC.xml and it holds
> <Context path="/"
>         docBase="SMC"
>         reloadable="true"
>         debug="0"/>
>
> Did I set this up wrong?
>

> Den 6/16/2006, skrev "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <de...@hanik.com>:
>

>> Fredrik Andersson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Ok so heres the deal. I want my tomcat installation (5.5.17) to load
>>> pages from /var/www/webapps/R2M/SMC
>>>
>>> I´m also running a virtual host setup so I edit my server.xml file and
>>> point the appBase for the directory to /var/www/webapps and then I have
>>> the context part of the configuration inside
>>> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/appserve/R2M/SMC.xml in which I point the docBase
>>>

>> ok, this path is $CATALINA_HOME/<Engine name>/<Host name>
>>
>> are you saying you renamed your engine element in server.xml to appserve?
>>

>>> variabel to "R2M/SMC"
>>>

>> this is a weird setup, by setting appBase to /var/www/webapps, tomcat
>> would want webapps in that directory
>> so you would have the app in /var/www/webapps/SMC
>> and tomcat would auto deploy it
>>

>>> Now when I point my webbrowser to a jsp file in my directory I recieve a
>>> 404 error.. :(
>>>
>>> What went wrong in my configuration?
>>>
>>> Any tip/help is greatly appreciated.

>> --

[...]