Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Gaudet, Timothy" <Ti...@GDIT.com> on 2020/04/07 12:54:10 UTC

EOL

Hello,

I am trying to find the End of Life (EOL) of the current version of Kafka.  I found links that showed tables and probably answered the question, but I found them to be a bit confusing.  Can someone just give me a version number and the EOL for that version?  If there is a set time period for the EOL that would be very helpful too.

Timothy Gaudet
Linux Engineer
General Dynamics Information Technology _Intelligence Solututions Div.  (ISD)
US BICES-X and Intelligence Programs
Tampa, FL.
813-826-0110
001282659 BICES
Timothy.gaudet@gdit.com<ma...@gdit.com>
Timothy.d.gaudet.ctr@socom.mil<ma...@socom.mil>
Timothy.gaudet.ctr.us@usa.bices.org<ma...@usa.bices.org>

Re: EOL

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
After reviewing the documentation, it appears the document focuses more on
release schedule and bug fixes for the 3 most recent major release
versions. It is not really clear when the support for specific versions end
and when they become deprecated.

We need an official deprecation and EOL policy that is explicit in terms of
how many versions back we are going to support.

We can take a look at these documents from other projects for inspiration
to come up with a clearer guidance to the community

https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/release/version-skew-policy/#supported-versions

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013#OpenJDK_Life_Cycle

We also have to be careful not to alarm existing users of the 1.x series

Those are my thoughts

RE: EOL

Re: EOL

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.