Posted to user@struts.apache.org by netsql <ma...@roomity.com> on 2005/08/11 14:21:06 UTC

Should I use JSTL 1.1 & struts taglibs or JSTL 1.0 & struts-el taglibs?

W/ Tomcat 5 (Servlet 2.4) you should use latest JSTL and regualr Struts tags.

You would only use Struts-el tags w/ Servlet 2.3.

.V

Re: Should I use JSTL 1.1 & struts taglibs or JSTL 1.0 & struts-el taglibs?

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 5:21 AM -0700 8/11/05, netsql wrote:
>W/ Tomcat 5 (Servlet 2.4) you should use latest JSTL and regualr Struts tags.
>
>You would only use Struts-el tags w/ Servlet 2.3.

I would agree with Vic; however, note that you must change your
web.xml file so that the root "web-app" element makes it clear to
your container that you want to use JSP 2.0:

          version="2.4">

If you don't do this, then the container will use JSP 1.1 so as not
to confuse things by interpreting inline expressions.  At least,
that's what Tomcat does, and I'm assuming it's part of the spec.

Once you've done this, you may find that you have some unexpected
behavior with old code which did its own expression evaluation (like
the struts-el library) because the expressions will be evaluated by
the JSP processor before they are passed to your custom tags.

I only had a couple cases where this was an issue, and it wasn't too
hard to work around, but it means that you probably don't want to
just casually change the web.xml and then toss an app into production
without testing.

Inline expression evaluation is SO nice -- death to <c:out>! ;-)

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com