Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Aaron Bains <aa...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/01 20:26:21 UTC

Wildcard Query

Hello,

The keywords field type is "text_en_splitting"

My query is as follows:    q=keywords:(symantec AND corporation)
Result: Documents are returned as normal

My wildcard query is as follows:      q=keywords:(symante* AND corporation)
Result: Wildcard functions correctly, and documents are returned

When I try a wildcard on every term as follows:      q=keywords:(symante*
AND corporatio*)
Result: No documents are returned.

RE: Wildcard Query

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
I solved a similar kind of issue (where I actually needed multi-valued attributes, e.g. people with multiple or hyphenated last names) by including PositionFilterFactory in the filter list for the analyzer in such fields' fieldType, thereby setting the position of each value to 1.

JRJ

I solved the problem by setting multiValued=false

Re: Wildcard Query

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Setting multivalued="false" is probably a red herring.

This form probably works because you're searching on
two different fields, namely keywords and <default search field>.
APpendint &debugQUery=on to your query will show this.

q=keywords:symante* AND corporatio*

This form probably fails because of stemming
q=keywords:(symante* AND corporatio*)
at a guess. Wildcards aren't analyzed.
"corporation" is probably being stemmed to something
like "corpor", which does not macth
corporatio*

The admin/analysis page helps a lot in cases like this

Best
Erick

Re: Wildcard Query

Posted by Aaron Bains <aa...@gmail.com>.