Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Wang Fei <py...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/29 16:37:21 UTC

Can I connect Cloudstack to a Hypervisor with existing VMs?

>From the cloudstack installation guide, I know that I should have a "clean
hypervisor host" when deploy cloudstack. But I think that is ideally.
sometimes, we need to migrate host with existed VMs into cloudstack in
practice.  of course, we can export the VMs from hypervisor and then import
it after deploy cloudstack complete. It is very inefficient. I have thought
about this issue for a long time. I found network and storage is the
biggest barrier for migrating. Existed VMs may use local storage. then can
not put it into a zone only with share storage. we can also not assign a
proper network to it since we need to keep the ip unchanged. But I think we
can work around these issue. and I make a simple test to add a host with
some VMs into cloudstack. The happen after that surprise me. Cloudstack
connect to the host successfully and I can access all existed VMs in  the
host as normal. Did it indicate that it is possible to migrate host with
VMs into cloudstack? If not, would you like to tell me what would happen
and what risk should I take.

----
best regards

Re: Can I connect Cloudstack to a Hypervisor with existing VMs?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
CloudStack generally keeps its hands off of vms that do not conform to its
naming scheme (i-x-abcde). If the name conforms to this naming scheme then
the vm is likely to be killed by CloudStack since CloudStack has no record
of this.

Capacity calculations will be off I think if you run non-CloudStack Vms
(depending on the hypervisor).