Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk> on 2009/06/22 05:46:10 UTC

Custom Rule Sets

Good morning,

Looking at the docs I see a 'don't add your customer rules here' warning
in reference to the default /usr/share/spamassassin dir. Instead it
lists a couple of options including local.cf

Is it possible to ask local.cf to include external files/dir for custom
rules at all?

Thanks

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 07:53 -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:

> >> Where do they imply you should not create additional .cf files?
> >>

> > I does not. I've already covered that and thanked a poster earlier for
> > guiding me in my error. Did you not read the follow up I posted?
> >

> About 20 seconds after I replied..
>
> Sorry, just waking up for the AM here... Didn't think to read the rest
> of the thread.

Kind of ironic that when you were trying to correct me for not reading
the link properly ;-)

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk>.

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 00:57 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2009, at 23:48, "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <richard@buzzhost.co.uk
>  > wrote:

> >> Yes, there is an include directive (see the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
> >> docs) but by default SA will load *ALL* .cf files from your site
> >> rules
> >> directory (usually /etc/mail/spamassassin), so includes at the
> >> local.cf
> >> level are a bit silly.
> >
> > I agree - but the docs seem to imply that you should not put them in
> > here - hence my confusion.
>
> No, the docs say not to put them in /usr/share/spamassassin which is
> not the same as  /etc/mail/spamassassin or /usr/local/etc/mail/
> spamassassin which is where local.cf and other custom cf files should
> go.

You know something - you are right ;-)

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

--
Sent from my Bluetooth enabled iTouch.

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 00:26 -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > Looking at the docs I see a 'don't add your customer rules here' warning
> > in reference to the default /usr/share/spamassassin dir. Instead it
> > lists a couple of options including local.cf
> >
> > Is it possible to ask local.cf to include external files/dir for custom
> > rules at all?
> Yes, there is an include directive (see the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
> docs) but by default SA will load *ALL* .cf files from your site rules
> directory (usually /etc/mail/spamassassin), so includes at the local.cf
> level are a bit silly.

I agree - but the docs seem to imply that you should not put them in
here - hence my confusion.

Thank you Matt.

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Looking at the docs I see a 'don't add your customer rules here' warning
> in reference to the default /usr/share/spamassassin dir. Instead it
> lists a couple of options including local.cf
>
> Is it possible to ask local.cf to include external files/dir for custom
> rules at all?
Yes, there is an include directive (see the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
docs) but by default SA will load *ALL* .cf files from your site rules
directory (usually /etc/mail/spamassassin), so includes at the local.cf
level are a bit silly. Just put extra .cf files in the same directory
and SA will load them.

Generally speaking, the include directive is only used at the user_prefs
level, where a single file is parsed by default, not a whole directory.

See also:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules

Re: Custom Rule Sets

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon, June 22, 2009 05:46, richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:

> Is it possible to ask local.cf to include external files/dir for custom
> rules at all?

any file that ends in cf just like local.cf does, will be read if places
in the same dir as local.cf no magic includes is needed :)

--
xpoint