Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Siraj Haider <si...@algomod.com> on 2007/06/11 20:00:36 UTC

Thread Pool

I am using tomcat version:5.5.20 java version:1.6.0-b105 os version:
intel solaris 5.10
scenario is: my java program call a servlet which return to my java
program using sendData and then goes into a loop to perform other
functions.  Now after i get the control back in my java program i try to
call another servlet on the same tomcat, but it waits until the previous
servlet call (which was in a loop to perform other functions) is done.
I have these settings in my servler.xml for thread pooling:
maxThreads="1000" minSpareThreads="100" maxSpareThreads="200"
acceptCount="500".  Can somebody please how to fix this problem ?

This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information which is privileged, sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above to arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.

Re: Thread Pool

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Doesnt seem right,
Client makes a request, Tomcat gets request, starts a thread and returns
response, then client makes another request and it hangs until thread is
complete, if I understand correctly.
I think it should work...
I think its something like the header size is wrong, or the client is not
closing the input buffer.... thats what I think you need to look for.
I think what is happening is that the client connection is holding on a keep
alive, ie it thinks it hasnt got all the data, and its waiting for it,
something like that.

What you could try, its to open two connections, and call it twice... I
think you will find that tomcat happily serves both.
Or you could force that connection to disconnect, and open another, I think
tomcat will react immediately.
I think the client is not releasing the connection, and because you using
the same connection to call twice, it only releases when tomcat literally
dumps the http request object, and thats only after the thread is complete.
One would think that tomcat has more than enough thread capacity to serve
just 2 thread (requests), so I expect something is telling the client its
not finished.
For example, I imagine that if the header size setting was 100 bytes, and
you only read 50, and the client would stay open until the server told it to
get lost....
I'm guessing ;)

Re: Thread Pool

Posted by Andre Prasetya <an...@gmail.com>.
I am a bit loss reading your message.

is the flow like this ?
a java program called a servlet in multi thread mode
while the request is being processed, the java program called another
process and somehow end up in calling another servlet in the same manner as
above. But then the program have to wait the 1st call to finish instead of
it running on seperate thread.

Am i true ?
if truethen the mistake is at your java program and not at tomcat. If you
need thread pooling, you can use jdk5's ExecutorService.

On 6/12/07, Siraj Haider <si...@algomod.com> wrote:

> I am using tomcat version:5.5.20 java version:1.6.0-b105 os version:
> intel solaris 5.10
> scenario is: my java program call a servlet which return to my java
> program using sendData and then goes into a loop to perform other
> functions.  Now after i get the control back in my java program i try to
> call another servlet on the same tomcat, but it waits until the previous
> servlet call (which was in a loop to perform other functions) is done.
> I have these settings in my servler.xml for thread pooling:
> maxThreads="1000" minSpareThreads="100" maxSpareThreads="200"
> acceptCount="500".  Can somebody please how to fix this problem ?
>

> This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information
> which is privileged, sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
> distribution (electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of
> any action in reliance on, the contents of this transmission is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error,
> please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above to
> arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.

-Andre-

People see things the way they are and say "why ?" I see things that never
were and say "Why not ?"

Re: Thread Pool

Posted by Dima Retov <di...@axisway.com>.
May be your servlet should close connection after data is sent.

and/or your program should close connection with server before second
request.

If your program connection keeps open because of keep alive then
second request is sent via old connection that is assigned to servlet
that have not completed its job.

Monday, June 11, 2007, 9:00:36 PM, you wrote:

SH> I am using tomcat version:5.5.20 java version:1.6.0-b105 os version:
SH> intel solaris 5.10
SH> scenario is: my java program call a servlet which return to my java
SH> program using sendData and then goes into a loop to perform other
SH> functions.  Now after i get the control back in my java program i try to
SH> call another servlet on the same tomcat, but it waits until the previous
SH> servlet call (which was in a loop to perform other functions) is done.
SH> I have these settings in my servler.xml for thread pooling:
SH> maxThreads="1000" minSpareThreads="100" maxSpareThreads="200"
SH> acceptCount="500".  Can somebody please how to fix this problem ?

SH> This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain
SH> information which is privileged, sensitive and/or otherwise exempt
SH> from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended
SH> only for the use of the individual or entity named as the
SH> addressee above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
SH> hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
SH> (electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any
SH> action in reliance on, the contents of this transmission is
SH> strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic
SH> transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile,
SH> or e-mail as noted above to arrange for the return of any
SH> electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.

Best regards,
 Dima                            mailto:dima@axisway.com

Re: Thread Pool

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
you need to call start(), not run()

Filip

Re: [OT] Thread Pool

Posted by Siraj Haider <si...@algomod.com>.
Thanks alot all for the help, yes it was my bad... I was not calling
run() method instead of calling start{} method...

regards
-Siraj

Re: [OT] Thread Pool

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.