Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Sander Bos <sa...@x-hive.com> on 2002/09/06 11:46:38 UTC

Question about LS interfaces in Xerces 2.1.0

Hi there,

My question is about the DOM Level 3 load/ save interfaces that are
included with Xerces 2.1.0. They kind of clash with the interfaces we
include with our own product. For the most part (all?) this is our own
problem, but I have two questions nevertheless:
 - Does anybody know why these org.w3c.dom interfaces are in
xercesImpl.jar and not in xmlParserAPIs.jar where all the other
org.w3c.dom interfaces are?
 - Why does for instance the W3C package interface
org/w3c/dom/DOMBuilder.java have a reference to the Xerces interface
(granted, based on DOM3 interface)
org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMErrorHandler? Is this a bug or a feature?

Kind regards,

--Sander.

P.S.: My apologies if this issue has already come up before. I just
subscribed to this list 10 minutes ago, I wanted to look in the archives
but they are down, and I looked in bugzilla for 2.1.0 reports and
reports about org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMErrorHandler but could not find
anything related.

--
X-Hive Corporation (www.x-hive.com)
email: sander@x-hive.com

Re: Question about LS interfaces in Xerces 2.1.0

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Sander,

Sander Bos wrote:
>  - Why does for instance the W3C package interface
> org/w3c/dom/DOMBuilder.java have a reference to the Xerces interface
> (granted, based on DOM3 interface)
> org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMErrorHandler? Is this a bug or a feature?

Neither. It is a hack. Since the DOM Level 3 is a Working Draft we are
cautious to include it by default in the org.w3c.dom package. Thus, the
DOMErrorHandler (in the default Xerces Build) is not in org.w3c.package
but instead in org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMErrorHandler one.

If you need DOM Level 3 support you should not use the default Xerces
distribution, instead build a special version of Xerces that includes
DOM Level 3 interfaces by default:
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-dom.html#faq-3

Read more in DOM FAQs:
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-dom.html

Good luck,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: Question about LS interfaces in Xerces 2.1.0

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
On Friday, 09/06/2002 at 11:46 ZE2, "Sander Bos" <sa...@x-hive.com>
wrote:
> - Does anybody know why these org.w3c.dom interfaces are in
> xercesImpl.jar and not in xmlParserAPIs.jar where all the other
> org.w3c.dom interfaces are?

DOM Level 3 is still a Working Draft, and so should not be in the
"standard APIs" (xmlParserAPIs) jarfile.

> - Why does for instance the W3C package interface
> org/w3c/dom/DOMBuilder.java have a reference to the Xerces interface
> (granted, based on DOM3 interface)
> org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMErrorHandler? Is this a bug or a feature?

Bug/prototype... One can argue that these classes shouldn't be in the W3C
package at all yet, but should be in something like
org.apache.domPrototype; folks can change their imports after the API goes
golden... We've discussed that in the past, and the Xerces folks have gone
back and forth on it over time.