Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2018/06/13 13:28:27 UTC

[Mentors] Status of incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html

Hi mentors,

Is this page something that we need to maintain or is it replaced by
something else and should be considered obsolete:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html

Thanks,

Gj

Re: [Mentors] Status of incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Probably only having 10 PMC members might be a little low with such a big and (hopefully) diverse project.
But I see you get the point. Those who are active and interested in helping to steer the project will be made PMC members.

Just a few general thoughts: Regardless whether in IT or in management, every decission is a tradeoff.
E.g. when always voting in people to committership + PPMC you will get the benefit that you can pick up those who were active a long time on the project already but missed to be on the initial incubation list. Otoh it might be harder to invite new people because to pass the bar for 'just' committership is easier to reach than for becoming a PPMC member immediately.
Anyway, the project is really doing fine as is and there is no 'perfect' solution anyway ;)

LieGrue,
strub

Adjusting the PMC members list before graduation (was: [Mentors] Status of incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 11:03 AM Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...when we become a top level project, we should ask each
> individual person who is a committer/PPMC member about how seriously
> they'll be involved in the top level project...

One thing that worked well for other podlings is to make a call, when
graduation is about to happen, about who wants to stay on the top
level project's PMC.

Make a call on this list (Bcc to the private list), indicate that
whoever's on the PPMC is invited to be on the PMC (if that's the idea)
and wait about a week for answers.

Add to the new PMC roster *only* the people who reply, indicating by
that that they are following the action and plan to stay involved.

If other PPMC members show up later, during or after graduation, it's
easy to add them to the PMC.

-Bertrand

Re: [Mentors] Status of incubator.apache.org/projects/netbeans.html

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.