Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/25 12:17:46 UTC

Artifact id for HBase - trunk

Hi devs

I am just learning this maven.  So i came across this and not sure whether
am right.

In the current trunk we say the artificat id as 'hbase'.

But when we build the 0.95 SNAPSHOT the jar actually falls under
hbase-server.

So if i have an external project and need to refer to the latest snapshot i
need to make it the artificat id as 'hbase-server' rather than 'hbase' as
how we used to do.

Changing this will help me pick up the snapshot jar.

Is what am saying is right?  Pls do correct me if am wrong.

Regards
Ram

Re: Artifact id for HBase - trunk

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all for explaining in understanding this.

Thanks to Jesse and Elliot in particular.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
LOL

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Artifact id for HBase - trunk

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 on Elliot's explaination - much better.
-------------------
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
No worries Ram!

In this case, yes the artifactID is indeed 'hbase', but because it is a
parent module it doesn't make an actual artifact. From the sonatype maven
book:

The parent project doesn’t create a JAR or a WAR like our previous
> projects; instead, it is simply a POM that refers to other Maven projects.
> The appropriate packaging for a project like simple-parent that simply
> provides a Project Object Model is pom.

           -
http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnex-book/reference/multimodule-sect-simple-parent.html

So another project could reference it, but it really wouldn't do anything
for that project because there is no code content in that dependency.

-Jesse

-------------------
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates