Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2015/05/10 20:35:12 UTC

Re: [SPAM?] RE: 3rd Party License policy, the board, and the term "FREE"

On 5/10/15 12:28 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Let me clarify what I mean by FREE (in all caps). I only mean open
> source licenses that are approved by OSI. The "Java Research License"
> is not so approved so please stop waving it at us.
>
> Regarding ALL the other licenses I have mentioned, they are ALL
> FREE.
>
> Please see the cover of my book, attached. I mean FREE in that sense,
> as open source lawyers do.
> /Larry

As a courtesy to other readers of the list, Larry's email included an
image of his book cover for "Open Source Licensing - Software Freedom
and Intellectual Property Law" published in 2004, with this text on the
cover:

"Open source licensees are free to:
- Use open source software for any purpose
- Make and distribute copies
- Create and distribute derivative works
- Access and use the source code
- Combine open source and other software"

Luckily, the current ASF licensing policy already allows all these uses,
and ensures our users don't face any other restrictions when using or
redistributing derivative works of our software!  Similarly, Apache
software is always available free of charge as well, covering another
important meaning of the word "free":

  http://www.apache.org/free/

- Shane