Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by "Shipman, John [USA]" <Sh...@bah.com> on 2019/01/23 20:20:47 UTC

JSON equivalent of XOP

Hi,

We have a current application that uses a CXF based SOAP interface that returns a large file using a DataHandler.  The resulting generated code allows the client to access the file represented by the DataHandler as a stream.

I am looking for an equivalent approach using a JAX-RS based service using JSON (specifically Jackson) in a spring boot application.  To date, I have tried several approaches and am not satisfied with them.

  *   Serializing the file to a byte array returned in the JSON.  This is not appropriate for a number of reasons, response can’t be initiated until after file converted to byte array, response can’t be processed until entire file is received, memory usage, etc…
  *   Sending a multipart response.  Better, but requires the client to know how to deal with multiparts and how to re-assemble the response object correctly.  Unfortunately, I can’t trust that the client systems will be able to do this appropriately.
  *   Send an XML response with XOP support.  This is the closest think I’ve found so far, but unfortunately, it’s XML, not JSON and there are some things we’re trying to do with Jackson and JSON that make this a non-starter.

Any ideas or are we out of luck?

Thanks,

John Shipman
Booz | Allen | Hamilton - Charleston Hub
Tech Lead – VBMS Correspondence Team
843-806-6480 | shipman_john@bah.com<ma...@bah.com>