Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daren Hawes <d....@webdesignmagic.com.au> on 2014/02/05 07:05:27 UTC

The XML response contains invalid XML

[cid:image001.png@01CF228B.CC86F970]

Hi,

I was hoping someone has seen this error before. It randomly happens when we SVN Checkout.

We have a Windows 2012 Server with SVN 1.8.5 installed. We use Visual SVN 1.8.4 to manage this Server.

The Sub Version data folder is on a NAS and permissions look fine. It all works.

The SVN is on http://elvis:8080 (no SSL)

I can import a whole 1gig site fine, but when I download it to ANY pc I get the error above at random file locations.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Regards,
Daren Hawes

CEO
d.hawes@webdesignmagic.com.au<ma...@webdesignmagic.com.au>

1300 308 210
Suite 5/5 Taree St, Burleigh, QLD 4220
P.O.Box 2860, Burleigh BC QLD, 4220

WWW.KONSULT.COM.AU<http://www.konsult.com.au/>
WWW.WEBDESIGNMAGIC.COM.AU<http://www.webdesignmagic.com.au/>
GOLD COAST . BRISBANE . SYDNEY . TOWNSVILLE

[signature][dont-print-me][facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Web-Design-Magic-Pty-Ltd/57089734321?sk=app_190322544333196>[twitter]<http://twitter.com/webdesignmagic>

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by OlePinto <Ol...@gmail.com>.
Hello, I am having the same problem (more or less). We have thoroughly
investigated it in-house, but have no more clues about what to look for.
I'll begin saying the server is running under Glassfish + SCM, in case it
switches a light before going on reading.
We can reproduce the problem doing a merge from trunk into a branch. Most of
the files are about 100Kb or smaller; there is a big binary (about 37 Mb)
which can not be merged.
The merge starts, the filenames go up the screen. It pauses while processing
the big-file and after a while it gives the error "E130003 the xml response
contains invalid xml". About 10s later, the svn command ends.
It happened with 1.8.10 and still happens with 1.8.13, both under WinXp (so
32 bits).
It doesn't happen to my colleagues, all with Win7. We have reproduced it in
a virtual machine running WinXp, but it happens randomly there (in my
machine it happens every time). (hint: a client problem?)
We have made a copy of the production repo (PROD) into a VM (COPY).
Let's say the structure of the repo goes like
'/produccion/juegos/Mex/trunk'. In order to discard WC problems, we checkout
a fresh one.
I run the following:
 and then

Then, after cd'ing into COPY/branches/arcoiris and PROD/branches/arcoiris,
we do

Under COPY it works flawlessly, but it fails under PROD. (hint: a server
problem?).
The whole merge takes 22s under COPY, and 1,5m under PROD.
We have captured the comms, I think they look good. The client is the one
closing the connection, so we don't think the server is the one deciding to
finish the transaction.
<http://subversion.1072662.n5.nabble.com/file/n193058/CapturaWireshark.png>
We have enabled debug logging in glassfish and svn, we can't find any
difference between successful and failed transactions.
I randomly get also "E125012: Invalid character in hex checksum"; maybe it
has any relation to the former, maybe not.
Any idea? Any other test or information that could be useful?

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Ruven Naidoo <ru...@gmail.com>.
Seems like SVN is confused about the Repository Name.
Rename the Repository and the try the check out.
The name you are using was used before by SVN and it is confusing the XML
file.

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
I've seen a problem something like this that stemmed from using a broken
migration tool. Data migrated from some other version control system,
into Subversion yielded some characters not properly encoded the way the
client expects it. I suspect something similar (except for properties of
a file, rather than the comments?).

See if you can narrow the problem down to the exact file that triggers
the problem. Try to reproduce the problem from the command line. Then
try to reproduce the problem from the command line, on the server - so
you can eliminate network transport as a source of the problem.

Eric.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 2/4/14, 10:05 PM, Daren Hawes wrote:
> I was hoping someone has seen this error before. It randomly happens when we
> SVN Checkout.
>

> We have a Windows 2012 Server with SVN 1.8.5 installed. We use Visual SVN 1.8.4
> to manage this Server.
>

> The Sub Version data folder is on a NAS and permissions look fine. It all works.
>

> The SVN is on http://elvis:8080 (no SSL)
>

> I can import a whole 1gig site fine, but when I download it to ANY pc I get the
> error above at random file locations.
>

> Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Going to need more info to figure this one out.

What's in the error log for httpd on the server?  If anything?  What's in your
configuration?  Any chance of using Wireshark or a web debugging proxy like
Fiddler or Charles to capture the traffic and then see what the response to the
REPORT request is?  (Fiddler or Charles you'll need to use the proxy
configuration in Tortoise's settings under Network).  For that matter, does the
command line client fail in the same way?  Does it give a more descriptive
error perhaps?

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Andy Bolstridge <an...@gmail.com>.
I am seeing the same thing.

Here's my problem:

I had a sub directory in my repo that contained a library that was 2 levels
deep. (eg. directory structure ProjectA/lib/releases)

I deleted the lib directory and replaced it with an external that had a
slightly different structure (lib/releases/v1)

I had problems with the external lib, so I reverted to the previous
revision.... and that is where the problems started.

The XML problem shows up as an error in the server log (using VisualSVN
Server, its in the event log). This reads "Working copy path
'Project/lib/release' does not exist in the repository (404, #160013)."
with event log entries "Provider encountered an error while streaming a
REPORT response" and "A failure occurred while driving the update report
editor".

Also, when I try to update, I cannot - it complains that the sub dir (lib)
"<external repo>/lib/release isn't in the same repository as <root of my
repo>" and refuses to update my working copy to the latest revision (that
has the external property removed and the old lib/release directories
restored).

So I'm stuck having to wipe my WC and re-check it out.

I assume this is because the new single .svn is doing a few checks on the
contents of the WC and reporting what it sees as inconsistencies when it
should be updating to the latest repository structure - and taking changes
to externals into account. I have removed the offending directory, hoping
that it would then realise it was missing and updating it - but it still
fails with the 'not same repo' error described before.

Note that trying to revert to get the latest revision doesn't work either -
the error reads "the node lib comes from unexpected repository <repo root>,
expected <external repo>; if this node is a file external using the correct
URL in the external defintion can fix the problem, see issue #4087". (My
issue is its not a file external)

Cleanup also fails to work - same error as revert.

Also update to revision, and revert to revision fails with same 'not same
repo' error.

So what to do!!

thanks, Andy

(svn 1.8 - latest TortoiseSVN on the client and last-but-one VisualSVN
server, so 1.8.4)

RE: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Daren Hawes <d....@webdesignmagic.com.au>.
It's not the NAS. Same thing happens on local repository drive.

It does not do it on any particular file, but seemed to stop on ZIP file. I deleted but it now odes it on random PNG files.

Where can I find the logs? On the Sever or the Client?

Daren

> I was hoping someone has seen this error before. It randomly happens when we SVN Checkout.
>
> We have a Windows 2012 Server with SVN 1.8.5 installed. We use Visual SVN 1.8.4 to manage this Server.
>
> The Sub Version data folder is on a NAS and permissions look fine. It all works.
>
> The SVN is on http://elvis:8080 (no SSL)
>
> I can import a whole 1gig site fine, but when I download it to ANY pc I get the error above at random file locations.

What is the Subversion "data folder"? Do you mean the repository or a working copy?

Repositories and working copies usually work best when they are on disks local to the Subversion server or client executable. So are you running the Subversion server or client executable on the network attached storage device? Or are you running it on a different computer which is accessing the data from the network attached storage device via a file sharing protocol? If so, what file sharing protocol are you using?

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Andreas Mohr <an...@lisas.de>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:13:53AM -0700, OlePinto wrote:
> Bert Huijben-5 wrote
> > Just to be sure: you get this error during an update?
> >
> > Not during a commit?
>
> Yes, a merge exactly. I even get it if I try the merge with --record-only. I
> was surprised to know that the client downloads the whole files, when I
> thought it was a local operation (merge inside the local WC, not a remote
> url).

My strangely semi-related ("foreign universe") notes at
"Copy this Debugging HOWTO to Wiki" https://svnbridge.codeplex.com/workitem/15337
might help in nailing down this issue.

HTH,

Andreas Mohr

--
GNU/Linux. It's not the software that's free, it's you.

RE: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by OlePinto <Ol...@gmail.com>.
Bert Huijben-5 wrote
> Just to be sure: you get this error during an update?
>
> Not during a commit?

Yes, a merge exactly. I even get it if I try the merge with --record-only. I
was surprised to know that the client downloads the whole files, when I
thought it was a local operation (merge inside the local WC, not a remote
url).

We have tried again, with the same results. Did the /netsh int ip reset /,
restarted and it works.
I have compared the generated log ( resetlog2.txt
<http://subversion.1072662.n5.nabble.com/file/n193112/resetlog2.txt>  ) with
the previous one (see former message). The first time it did some things it
didn't the second (as they were already done). It resets again the
IP/netmask/DNS (which we configured manually) and it prints again the only
suspicious lines we find:

We have looked for those values and they are not present right now. I will
try to look for them next monday to see if they have reappeared.

We have even exported and compared
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters],
which supposedly contains every value susceptible of being changed by the
netsh.
Apart from the lease time (present, even if we don't use DHCP) we see a
change in NTEContextList. I have two cards, an inactive TeamViewerVPN
Adapter and the real Ethernet card. They had values of 3 and 2 that, after
the enchantment and restart become 2 and 3.

RE: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

If it is during a commit: Are you committing to an xml file?

	Bert

RE: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by OlePinto <Ol...@gmail.com>.
I did, but we haven't found anything worthy. The file follows.
resetlog.txt
<http://subversion.1072662.n5.nabble.com/file/n193061/resetlog.txt>
The client's machine is running a McAffee, before and after the fix. The
server is running some antivirus, which we even switched off to test (no
change).

RE: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

What kind of virusscanner / firewall do/did you run on this machine?

This command removes custom settings on the IP stack, which may include
third party hooks. Adding this information to this thread may help resolve
the problem in the future.

There might be valuable information in the 'c:\filename.log' file created by
running this command. Did you check that file?

	Bert

Re: The XML response contains invalid XML

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.