Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/03/10 20:41:11 UTC

Re: general/1911: Can't download a file from the apache server with MSIE 4.01 US (fwd)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Anyone else?  This .gz thing I heard was just in passing and I'd like to
> find out if it's true... so that I can document it on the
> known_client_problems page and complain to the browser folks at microsoft.

Not AFAIK.  Could be content-encoding stuff?

I can't recall which client this is (think it is MSIE, could be Navigator
4 on Windows) if you put a content-encoding in, then it will bastardize
the filename by changing foo.tar.gz to foo.tar_tar yet not uncompress it.
Needless to say, that confuses people.