Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Sergey Podatelev <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/06 19:35:35 UTC

How reliable Validators are?

Hello,

I'm wondering, how safe is it to use a custom validator to check current
password of the logged-in user, when he wants to change his password (say,
on a profile page)?
Are there are any potential security issues that can allow user to pass a
validation?

--
sp

Re: How reliable Validators are?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
You would be inside the constructor of a page (or component) when you
instantiate the validator (presumably).  That page (or component)
could have a @SpringBean injected into it.  Then, it can pass that
injected reference into the constructor of the validator.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@inertiabev.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@inertiabev.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
As I wrote, it's just my personal taste how I would do it:
For a password check usually another component is involved (the user
name and/or a password retype), so this is no good case for IValidator.
You could use an IFormValidator, but then you can equally well just put
the check into onSubmit().

I not eager to explain my definition of 'heavy'. Next time I'll just
write a sloppy response about validators working 90% of the time ;).

Sven

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Sergey Podatelev
> Well yeah, actually, I'm using Wicket-Spring, so onValidate() takes just
> about two lines:
>
> protected void onValidate(validatable) {
>  if (((MyApplication)
> Application.get()).getUserDao().verifyPassword(userId, password) == false) {
>    error(validatable);
>  }
> }

I think it really doesn't matter much whether you put it in a
validator or directly in onSubmit. If it is something you reuse, put
it in a validator to avoid code validation. Otherwise, do whatever is
best readable. Another consideration is that if you have multiple
validations, it can get ugly to have to put in multiple if/ then
blocks (if validation x fails the set error, else save y kind of
stuff), and validators are a bit nicer in that way because they are
like pluggable checks that block form processing if any of them fails.

Eelco

Re: How reliable Validators are?

Posted by Sergey Podatelev <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
what exactly is "heavy" ?

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.

Posted by Sergey Podatelev <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.

Posted by Sergey Podatelev <br...@gmail.com>.
I agree, not only they are useless, they are also pretty boring, I mean no
potential flaws or unlocked doors you have to worry about.
I'm glad there's finally a framework that doesn't eleminate the fun of
dealing with unpredictability of its components.

I sorry though if the stupidity of my question bothered you.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.