Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Bill Liang <bl...@live.com> on 2012/01/29 20:26:20 UTC

Startup cost for instantiation of recommenders

Hi all,
I'm considering dynamically instantiating multiple recommenders on the fly. If I want to create 10 recommenders from previously trained models, and then get recommendation from each of them, is that a practical thing to do? in other words, is it going to take too long beyond what average user is willing to wait for? I know it can be easily tested, I just want to hear from other people's experience.
Thanks,Bill

Re: Startup cost for instantiation of recommenders

Posted by Steven Bourke <sb...@gmail.com>.
I did this for a user study for around 100~ people but only using 1 recommender as opposed to 10. It was a user based CF algorithm with my own tweaks. Overall the recommendations were quite quick. The main bottleneck was the actual loading and updating of the data model (no surprises there). My use case was for an experiment linked to my research, some people did no complete the study. If you are using it in a commercial environment you should probably avoid such a configuration. You could take a nightly batch type approach.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
(This is all not Hadoop-based, I presume.)

It varies from implementation to implementation; some implementations have
a lot of precomputation at startup and some don't. Most do a fair bit of
caching so they respond slowly and then more quickly as the caches fill.

Anything's possible, but this is not a common way to use these, no.