Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/24 23:16:08 UTC

A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Ok, I got stuck here:

I cloned the repo:
git clone https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs.git
Cloning into 'whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs'...

I was told I could not fork it. Not sure if what I'm doing is all throwaway but I'm willing to try.

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git] clr% cd whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% yarn start
yarn: Command not found.
[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% which yarn
yarn: Command not found.
So I googled yarn and found https://engineering.fb.com/web/yarn-a-new-package-manager-for-javascript/

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% npm install -g yarn
/usr/local/lib
└── yarn@1.22.4

npm ERR! Darwin 18.7.0
npm ERR! argv "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install" "-g" "yarn"
npm ERR! node v6.9.1
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.8
npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules
npm ERR! code EACCES
npm ERR! errno -13
npm ERR! syscall access

npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, access '/usr/local/lib/node_modules'
npm ERR!     at Error (native)
npm ERR!  { Error: EACCES: permission denied, access '/usr/local/lib/node_modules'
npm ERR!     at Error (native)
npm ERR!   errno: -13,
npm ERR!   code: 'EACCES',
npm ERR!   syscall: 'access',
npm ERR!   path: '/usr/local/lib/node_modules' }
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Please try running this command again as root/Administrator.

So, I usually suspect requests to run stuff as root.

Should I do
sudo npm install -g yarn, or
chmod to give user clr access to /usr/local/lib/node_modules?

> On Mar 19, 2020, at 6:32 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:40 AM Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com <ma...@rcbowen.com>> wrote:
>>
>> My experience with Whimsy matches every project I've ever tried to
>> contribute to.
>>
>> When I looked at the code with a vague "I want to get involved" mindset,
>> it was inscrutable nonsense. Not because it *was*, but because I had no
>> goal.
>>
>> When I had a specific thing that I wanted to fix - an itch to scratch -
>> the code was pretty clear, and it was fairly clear where I needed to
>> scratch. Also, the people on the Slack channel gave me the direction I
>> needed when I got lost, so there was the community building aspect of
>> "bad code, good community" that Stefano advocates.
>
> Thanks.  And as long as there are people interested in contributing,
> I'm interested in helping them get started.
>
>> So, sure, change to a different language if you think it'll help, but
>> without people trying to scratch specific itches (which is, really, the
>> heart of the Whimsy project, even more than most!) I don't think it's
>> the right solution. It won't *hurt*, of course, but I don't think it'll
>> help much.
>>
>> If anything is lacking, it's clear working docs about getting a local
>> copy working for testing purposes. (Yes, there are instructions. No, I
>> was not able to get it working. Yes, I'm still trying.)
>
> Are these instructions unclear:
> https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs <https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs> ?
>
> If not, where did you get stuck?
>
>> All just MHO, based on possibly a dozen hours working on the project.
>> Take that for whatever it's worth.
>>
>> --
>> Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com <ma...@rcbowen.com>
>> http://rcbowen.com/ <http://rcbowen.com/>
>> @rbowen
>
> - Sam Ruby

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 11:33 AM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To force the link and overwrite all conflicting files:
>   brew link --overwrite node

Did you try this?

- Sam Ruby

Re: A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 11:36 AM Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:33 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Apr 27, 2020, at 7:54 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> > > ...Can I infer from this
> > > that you have this code to the point of displaying an agenda?
> > Well, not exactly...
>
> FWIW, in the meantime I created a Dockerfile that should make it
> easier to run this, it's at
> https://github.com/bdelacretaz/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/blob/master/Dockerfile
> for now and might get in Sam's repository if he likes it.

I've invited you as a collaborator.  Feel free to merge this in and
make any other changes you wish.  Don't ask permission, radiate
intent.

I'll do the same for any other ASF member that provides a substantial
contribution.

If this attracts a sufficient, sustainable community, I'll start a
vote to bring this code base into the Whimsy PMC.  That may involving
inviting people to be on the Whimsy PMC.

> -Bertrand

- Sam Ruby

Re: A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
FTR, the stack overflow article did help. There were a number of items that had the wrong owner/permissions that I fixed with chown -R ...

Perhaps that article should be listed as a resource in the README or MacOS instructions. I'm not sure where it should go.

Craig

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:18 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> yarn dev got me to the web page agenda for 2020-05-20.
>
> I can navigate through the entire agenda and then when I go to queued actions I get
> TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'this.pending.comments.length')
> I assume that this is just what you get when you hit an unimplemented feature. Not so bad.
>
> So I guess I'm at the point of looking around to see if I can figure out how it all works...

Cool!

If you go exploring, be aware that if you see methods on classes
(names that start with a capital letter), that's likely code that
needs to be replaced.  If you see things like this.props.name or
this.state.name, it is probably either working or in the process of
being made to work.

this.pending probably needs to be changed.

I did update the Readme to describe how things should be working... eventually.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:40 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FTR, the stack overflow article did help. There were a number of items that had the wrong owner/permissions that I fixed with chown -R ...
>
> Perhaps that article should be listed as a resource in the README or MacOS instructions. I'm not sure where it should go.

Probably in this section:
https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/blob/master/MACOSX.md#node

Can you go ahead and fix this?

- Sam Ruby

Re: A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 28, 2020, at 8:33 AM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% brew link --overwrite node
> > Linking /usr/local/Cellar/node/14.0.0...
> > Error: Could not symlink share/systemtap/tapset/node.stp
> > /usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset is not writable.

Sorry, I missed that.

Perhaps Stack Overflow can help:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31374143/trouble-install-node-js-with-homebrew

> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

- Sam Ruby

Re: A potential developer's story: Porting whimsy to Node.js?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 7:54 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:39 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, I did not look at the directory to find this and just started with the README.
>>
>> I'm thinking that we should update the README.md with pointers to the platform-specific instructions... not a criticism but just thinking out loud.
>
> Sorry about that, thanks for the bug report!  Can I infer from this
> that you have this code to the point of displaying an agenda?

Well, not exactly:

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% brew link node
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/node/14.0.0...
Error: Could not symlink share/systemtap/tapset/node.stp
Target /usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/node.stp
already exists. You may want to remove it:
  rm '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/node.stp'

To force the link and overwrite all conflicting files:
  brew link --overwrite node

To list all files that would be deleted:
  brew link --overwrite --dry-run node
To list all files that would be deleted:
  brew link --overwrite --dry-run node

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% brew link --overwrite node
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/node/14.0.0...
Error: Could not symlink share/systemtap/tapset/node.stp
/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset is not writable.

I was developing with node a couple of years back and have no problem using the latest node. Whether the older project works without changes is not an issue. But I don't know how to get node installed. Or yarn.

[MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% which node
node: Command not found.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 4/24/2020 4:16 PM, Craig Russell wrote:
> Ok, I got stuck here:
>
> I cloned the repo:
> git clone https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs.git
> Cloning into 'whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs'...
>
> I was told I could not fork it. Not sure if what I'm doing is all throwaway but I'm willing to try.
>
> [MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git] clr% cd whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/
> [MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% yarn start
> yarn: Command not found.
> [MacBook-Pro-10:~/apache/git/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs] clr% which yarn
> yarn: Command not found.
> So I googled yarn and found https://engineering.fb.com/web/yarn-a-new-package-manager-for-javascript/

If you are using Ubuntu 20.04, see the discussion between Sam and
myself:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r3875c83225517f4e0fac171db1ac3763e0d44a2097d6966ab0429b87%40%3Cdev.whimsical.apache.org%3E

Read to the end before applying any of it, because we found and Sam
fixed some problems as we went along. I am in the process of doing a
write up.

Being lazy, I asked for help and most of the time Sam responded before I
could fix it myself.

https://www.avg.com