Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by An...@rbs.com on 2011/07/27 13:25:22 UTC

Problem starting solr on jetty

Hi,

I am new to solr. I have downloaded the solr 3.3.0 distribution and tryign to run it using java -jar start.jar from the apache-solr-3.3.0\example directory (start.jar is present here). But I am getting following error on running this command:

C:\downloads\apache-solr-3.3.0\apache-solr-3.3.0\example>java -jar start.jar
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:222)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.init(Main.java:465)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:439)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:119)

Could someone help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks & Regards
Anand Nigam

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. The
Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. is authorised and regulated by the
De Nederlandsche Bank and has its seat at Amsterdam, the
Netherlands, and is registered in the Commercial Register under
number 33002587. Registered Office: Gustav Mahlerlaan 350,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. and
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc are authorised to act as agent for each
other in certain jurisdictions.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily
secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland
N.V. including its affiliates ("RBS group") does not accept responsibility
for changes made to this message after it was sent. For the protection
of RBS group and its clients and customers, and in compliance with
regulatory requirements, the contents of both incoming and outgoing
e-mail communications, which could include proprietary information and
Non-Public Personal Information, may be read by authorised persons
within RBS group other than the intended recipient(s).

viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted
by the RBS group in this regard and the recipient should carry out such
virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Visit our website at www.rbs.com

RE: Problem starting solr on jetty

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Anand,

Congrats!  And thanks for letting us know.

Steve

Visit our website at www.rbs.com

RE: Problem starting solr on jetty

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I tried to debug the issue by runing start.jar in eclipse debuger and
: found that the root of the issue was that the jetty.home system property
: was not set. If I set the jetty.home property then the server starts
: properly.

Hmmmm, weird ... that still doesn't really make much sense.

The jetty.home property isn't required by Jetty (or solr). if it's unset,
it defaults to the current working directory.

:
: C:\downloads\apache-solr-3.3.0\apache-solr-3.3.0\example>java -jar start.jar java.lang.NullPointerException
:         at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:222)
:         at org.mortbay.start.Main.init(Main.java:465)
:         at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:439)
:         at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:119)
:
: Could someone help me in resolving this issue.

-Hoss

RE: Problem starting solr on jetty

Posted by An...@rbs.com.

Visit our website at www.rbs.com